🔧 BUILD Upside-down M90 GTP build thread

General Information

When your wife gives you permission to build a racecar, you build a racecar.

This is what happened to me. However, all funding for this project comes out of my construction account. I really need a telehandler, so this is very budget friendly. Luckily, I've been stockpiling parts for years. This isn't an overnight build by any means. My goal is to make a 1/4 mile pass with it before the tracks close for the season. I'm taking a risk here and using photobucket for image hosting, so hopefully they don't screw me over again.

So let's start it off. I bought a 04 L26 motor with somewhere north of 100k on it and started to tear it down.

1689132772823.png

Everything looks good so far. The pistons are really clean. There was some junk sitting in the oil pan, but not much.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Yeah. All I did with him was try to tune his car when he had oil completely blocked off to the lifters as they clattered for their life. I told him I could come back, but he insisted that I try to tune it making all of that noise. Other than that, I really didn't do much with Nick.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Yeah. All I did with him was try to tune his car when he had oil completely blocked off to the lifters as they clattered for their life. I told him I could come back, but he insisted that I try to tune it making all of that noise. Other than that, I really didn't do much with Nick.

Don’t you love it?

I did cam for someone, and told him I couldn’t tune it until he fixed his lack of fuel (injectors/pump). Told him to stay out of the gas until he got his fueling fixed. Windowed his block in under 24 hours. At least I got paid...but he stalked me on forums for a few months saying it was my fault. People are stupid

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Truth is though, you can build a 600whp turbo car for pretty cheap, probably less than $2k to do it reliable enough to stay together. OBVIOUSLY you can do it cheaper, but you'll end up picking up the tab with tows back to the garage. BUT if you have any fun with it, like 2-3 drag days a year, you will be rebuilding the trans every year. If you want it done right, you're looking at least $2k to have it done. That's probably 30+ days of downtime with shipping the trans to trannyman, rebuild, getting it back and having to remove and replace it, which sucks.

So, to stick with it, knowing damn well that's the life the car will live is pretty fuckin' awesome and why these 3800 threads are so damn popular. So, FUCK the haters, do your thing and go beat the stock m90 only 1/4 mile time.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I don’t know about 2k to make 600whp, you could probably make 450whp for 2k using a bunch of junk Chinese parts, but not if your counting the fuel system cam valvetrain and what not, anything over like 12lbs of boost you will need decent valvesprings anything over 20psi you will want 150’s or it will start to valve float, then your looking at a double roller timing chain, and 600 isn’t going to happen without a good cam

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
So, to not defend the people saying what they say, it really kinda does cost thousands and thousands of dollars to be quick in a 3800 platform. And by quick, let's say 10's. Cause you can go 12's for pretty cheap as long as you're well aware the stock trans you're doing it on is going to go on break and not coming back one day.

Thread Info