🔧 BUILD Upside-down M90 GTP build thread

General Information

When your wife gives you permission to build a racecar, you build a racecar.

This is what happened to me. However, all funding for this project comes out of my construction account. I really need a telehandler, so this is very budget friendly. Luckily, I've been stockpiling parts for years. This isn't an overnight build by any means. My goal is to make a 1/4 mile pass with it before the tracks close for the season. I'm taking a risk here and using photobucket for image hosting, so hopefully they don't screw me over again.

So let's start it off. I bought a 04 L26 motor with somewhere north of 100k on it and started to tear it down.

1689132772823.png

Everything looks good so far. The pistons are really clean. There was some junk sitting in the oil pan, but not much.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
We are planning a track day for November 17th at Tulsa, Oklahoma, so I'm going to do my best to get this car raceable.

Zzp wanted almost $100 for their alternator relocation kit, so I bought some aluminum bar stock and decided to make my own. Spent a couple hours on it...

Then I gave up.
I found Ed LaBarge selling his version for $65, so I just bought it.

I needed to drill the holes for the blower plate. This is 1/2" 6061 aluminum. I dont have a drill press, but we have an antique one at the farm that worked decently well.

I cut out the rest with a jig saw and wood blade, then tapped the holes with a m10x1.50 tap.

More on this later. I need more aluminum tubing to finish this, so hopefully that will arrive in a couple days.

Got the car out of the shed.

$8 later at the carwash.

This Weldon pump was included with the car. It's a kickass pump, but was seized up. The awesome thing about Weldon's is they are completely rebuildable. I pulled it apart, broke the pump loose, and it works now.

I've got a lot left to do to race in 1.5 weeks.

Need to install the fuel system
Finish up the engine and intercooling system
Install a new master cylinder and delete abs and bleed the brakes
Replace power steering lines...hopefully the rack doesn't leak
Figure out what I'm going to do with my transmission, because my built one wont be done
Install the front bumper cover
Change the seat mounting bracket
Put the slicks on....the lug nuts are keyed, so I'm not sure how I will do this

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I've got lots of updates to this, but I'm not quite ready to post the engine details.

But, I got the transmission back from the builder.

It's just a basic build.
300m input shaft
3.29 gxp chains
Hardened 4th
Chromemoly pump shaft
Cartuning billet 3rd apply plate
Transgo shift kit
All new electronics
New zzp 2500 stall converter

So, the guy that rebuilt it for me has done quite a few, but they are all stock rebuilds. I had to guide him through a few of the upgrades. One thing I forgot was the drive gear reluctor wheel. So, i took it apart once I got it back so I could weld it to the sprocket.

I was going to drill and tap threads in the gear, so I drilled the pins out of the reluctor.

But, it's impossible to tap the sprocket with hand tools. It's insanely hard.

I ended up welding it, but got a little wide with the bead.

I also noticed that I let the sprocket cool too quickly, and it cracked.

I put it all together, but have recently decided to find another gear and do it all again. Hopefully that will be here later this week.

Cooler line fittings have always confused me on these. This transmission had the return fitting threaded, and the supply fitting quick connect. I had no idea which was correct.

The supply fitting had the check ball in it, and there was no check ball in the channel plate.

So that means the fitting does indeed need the check ball. I'm putting new cooler lines and radiator on the car, so I decided to switch them to the threaded style to prevent any leaks. Ordered the correct fitting from rockauto and installed it.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Got the new sprocket and welded the reluctor wheel on. It turned out a lot better. No cracks.

I pre-heated it in the oven for 45 minutes at 400° then let it cool off in the oven for 3 hours or so.

Now I'm cleaning the oven. It made a mess. Next time, I'm buying a cheap oven on craigslist to do this with in the garage.

I worked a bit on the fuel system. I need to attach some braces below the fuel cell to secure it. I need to order some aluminum angle online.

Also, the car had the brackets cut off to mount the bumper support. I cut a couple off a red car at the junkyard and am in the process of welding them on my car. I also got an aluminum support from a Rendezvous at the junkyard. I may occasionally drive this car on the street, so I think it's important to have a bumper support.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
We were planning on going to the track last weekend as it was opening weekend here. But I had a schedule conflict and the car isn't ready yet either. The trans is all put back together, but I'm waiting on the machine shop to finish cutting my blower mount plates. I have all the parts to rebuild the control arms, just need to take them off and paint them.

I don't really have an estimated completion day yet. I'm thinking maybe in about a month, but who knows. Things have been crazy around here lately.

My buddy with the TGP is really itching to go to the track, as he put down 637whp a couple months ago. He's got a lot of turbo left too.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I was really hoping for last weekend to work. The track elevation is 2100' but the DA gets really bad here quickly. We'll be planting in May, so it will probably be June before I can get to the track. When it cools off, maybe we can head somewhere with better elevation to get some quick times.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Here's one of the main reasons this thing will blow the doors off zzp's m90 car.

I've been struggling with an intercooler pump selection for awhile. Most of the commonly used intercooler pumps are absolutely terrible. (Flo-jet, Rule, cobalt, lightning, etc.)

The better pumps are expensive. The Stewart Emp pump is the best pump available now, but it's also over $500. They still don't perform like we would need, but it's definitely better. I'm just not made of money.

So after lots of looking and research, I found this. The belt-driven intercooler pump off a 6.7 powerstroke. This should flow an incredible amount of water and won't drop off with pressure. We'll see how it works. It looks like it will mount easily to the a/c bracket. Best of all, the pump was only about $100. Inlet and outlet are 1.25".

Reactions: BrianG

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Here's one of the main reasons this thing will blow the doors off zzp's m90 car.

I've been struggling with an intercooler pump selection for awhile. Most of the commonly used intercooler pumps are absolutely terrible. (Flo-jet, Rule, cobalt, lightning, etc.)

The better pumps are expensive. The Stewart Emp pump is the best pump available now, but it's also over $500. They still don't perform like we would need, but it's definitely better. I'm just not made of money.

So after lots of looking and research, I found this. The belt-driven intercooler pump off a 6.7 powerstroke. This should flow an incredible amount of water and won't drop off with pressure. We'll see how it works. It looks like it will mount easily to the a/c bracket. Best of all, the pump was only about $100. Inlet and outlet are 1.25".

are you going to run an ice box and no front mount since it will mostly be a drag car?

Thread Info