🔧 BUILD Upside-down M90 GTP build thread

General Information

When your wife gives you permission to build a racecar, you build a racecar.

This is what happened to me. However, all funding for this project comes out of my construction account. I really need a telehandler, so this is very budget friendly. Luckily, I've been stockpiling parts for years. This isn't an overnight build by any means. My goal is to make a 1/4 mile pass with it before the tracks close for the season. I'm taking a risk here and using photobucket for image hosting, so hopefully they don't screw me over again.

So let's start it off. I bought a 04 L26 motor with somewhere north of 100k on it and started to tear it down.

1689132772823.png

Everything looks good so far. The pistons are really clean. There was some junk sitting in the oil pan, but not much.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Just got off the phone with Manton and placed my order. I ended up measuring length a bunch more times and took an average across the intake and another average across the exhaust. Oddly enough, they both ended up at 7.38" with .050" preload. The exhaust side was within about .015" across the board. The intake was about .040" though. I was somewhat shocked there was that big of a gap, but it's not a precision engine, so it's not going to be perfect.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Back to work on this. Got the crank sprocket chamfered and deburred both sprocket's teeth.

Also got them both on.

I had a friend mill the pump cover in exchange for some tig welding, so I need to pick that up from him. Then I can slap on the front cover and oil pan. Then I can work on all the more difficult stuff coming.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Just GM stuff with hpt, powrtuner, and tiny tuner.

Probably going to be a limiting factor with the GM stuff. I never hit that wall, but you might.

I doubt ZZP will be using the GM stuff. Big injectors for E85 won't idle pretty (although I know they've improved) for big HP. Need a wideband and fast reacting management to deal with it.

Not trying to say you can't do it, but it's a consideration.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Probably going to be a limiting factor with the GM stuff. I never hit that wall, but you might.

I doubt ZZP will be using the GM stuff. Big injectors for E85 won't idle pretty (although I know they've improved) for big HP. Need a wideband and fast reacting management to deal with it.

Not trying to say you can't do it, but it's a consideration.

Yeah, I have a wideband and all that stuff. Should be fine. I only need 80# injectors for the power this will make. I'm going to be running 95's but that should be ok. People run much bigger on the gm hardware without many problems. It may be a little rich at idle, but this is just a drag car, so I dont really care.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
It rained here all day today, so I was able to spend about half of it on the engine. I think most of that time was spent scrubbing the grease and dirt off the front cover. I had a friend take .040" off the oil pump cover.

Even though this is a l26, I think this is a series 2 front cover.

I used zzp's thicker front cover gasket.

Getting closer.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
It's nothing special. 300m, zzp 2500 stall converter, gxp chains, 3.29's, transgo shift kit, and cartuning billet 3rd. I'm also going to extend the pan and pickup. We'll see how long it lasts like that.

Speaking of the track, i met a friend at a 1/8 mile strip last Friday night. He wanted to run his car. (Turbo'd gpgt) We showed up and the gates were locked....cancelled because it rained earlier in the day. It was a beautiful evening, so that sucked. We went back to Lincoln and cruised around for awhile then. There wasnt much out that could put up a fight against his car. We found a newer 392 charger with a procharger on it, but we killed that. Later on, we found a gt500 on slicks. We never found out what he had in the engine, but it was even for a bit, then we started pulling away pretty hard again. My buddy went 11.2 a few years ago on a pt61. He upgraded to a 67mm precision now with a 3.5" DP and stage 4 zzp heads.

Thread Info