🔧 BUILD Upside-down M90 GTP build thread

General Information

When your wife gives you permission to build a racecar, you build a racecar.

This is what happened to me. However, all funding for this project comes out of my construction account. I really need a telehandler, so this is very budget friendly. Luckily, I've been stockpiling parts for years. This isn't an overnight build by any means. My goal is to make a 1/4 mile pass with it before the tracks close for the season. I'm taking a risk here and using photobucket for image hosting, so hopefully they don't screw me over again.

So let's start it off. I bought a 04 L26 motor with somewhere north of 100k on it and started to tear it down.

1689132772823.png

Everything looks good so far. The pistons are really clean. There was some junk sitting in the oil pan, but not much.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I think I'm going to pull it out after Friday and send it to someone that knows what they are doing.
Autos in general are like voodoo to me. Even when you're sure you've done everything right, something isn't right. Any idea who you're going to try? With TEP out of the game, I'm not sure where else to turn anymore.

Reactions: GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Nichols in Kansas City has received most of Dave's business. I might take to there since that's a 4 hour drive for me. Otherwise there is Harmon performance transmission in Minnesota I think. Or the guy that has been helping me with it, who I think is in Michigan. Or I might try to sweet talk Dave into looking at it. I'll have to do some calling around.

Reactions: v6buicks

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Well, I think with help I have a solution.

I used a bonded separate plate with a paper gasket on each side like the manual says to. But since it's bonded, you aren't supposed to use the paper gaskets. Doing that will cause no 1st and 4th. So, it'll be a pain, but I should be able to fix this without dropping the trans.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Explain that one to me more.... I have this exact problem right now with my '97 LeSabre, I thought it was a shift solenoid issue.

The manual shows to install the separate plate (spacer) in the middle with a gasket on each side.
IMG_20201101_135140913.jpg

I used this during the rebuild. But, I didn't see anything that said not to use gaskets on it.

It has the gaskets already attached, so if you use gaskets like the manual shows to, it will keep you from having 1st and 4th. I will try to show the differences in the gasket and separate plate when I get it apart.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Dropping the subframe on the driver's side to get to the valve body.

IMG_20201125_172951020.jpg

IMG_20201127_160841990_BURST001_COMP.jpg

If you look really close, you can see where the check ball tried to year through the paper gasket to allow flow for 1st gear.

IMG_20201127_164130909~2.jpg

There's also lots of places where the passages don't line up.

IMG_20201127_164632917~2.jpg

IMG_20201127_164654390.jpg

IMG_20201127_170047240.jpg

Pulled the paper gaskets off and got it all put back together. I'll put in a new filter and fluid before I take it for a test drive.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Dropping the subframe on the driver's side to get to the valve body.

View attachment 74994

View attachment 74995

If you look really close, you can see where the check ball tried to year through the paper gasket to allow flow for 1st gear.

View attachment 74998

There's also lots of places where the passages don't line up.

View attachment 74999

View attachment 75000

View attachment 75001

Pulled the paper gaskets off and got it all put back together. I'll put in a new filter and fluid before I take it for a test drive.

Yeah, a little fuckery will cause shit to happen. Back in the day I bent the corner of a VB gasket less than 1/4 inch installing it. Had to fucking drop the VB to fix it. I'm doing the Transgo HD Kit in my 700R4 so I am hoping to avoid similar fun again.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Yeah, a little fuckery will cause shit to happen. Back in the day I bent the corner of a VB gasket less than 1/4 inch installing it. Had to fucking drop the VB to fix it. I'm doing the Transgo HD Kit in my 700R4 so I am hoping to avoid similar fun again.
When I did my wife’s trans, I used the tq converter bolts to pull it into the flexplate (Don’t do this) . It didn’t sit right and killed the pump bushing. I had to pull the whole assembly out to replace a $3 bushing, and $6 seal. Found out you pull the TQ converter forward from the backside towards the flexplate to properly clock it. Then tighten. Been fine since

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Whats the highest hp FWD engine GM makes now? Itd be killer to stuff a say 360+ hp 8 speed or whatever with a 100 shot and send it. I should look it up and just find a wreck so youve got everything. Electronics and all.

I have no idea. No way I'd have the time to do something like that. I'm slowly getting the kinks worked out. This thing should be nearing 400 whp.

Reactions: Rent Free

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
If you really want to know, use your trap speed. It’s the most accurate way to determine HP

L67’s don’t dyno right. Witnessed it on many occasions, and even my own car.

Thread Info