⚡ EV An Audi E-Tron Towed A GM EV1 From Tulsa To Austin, Range Was Affected

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
EV1? Holy flashback! Cliffs, they got half the range while towing 4,000 lbs

mzryqyo5tegdk8z41u59.png

There isn’t a lot of data out there about how towing affects EV range, largely because there is such a diversity in trailer aerodynamics and mass. Thanks to the Oklahoma Chapter of the Electric Auto Association, we have some idea of how towing a 4000-pound car trailer affects the range of an Audi E-Tron.

The group of volunteers, supported by Audi of America’s electrification strategy team, drove the Audi while towing a trailer from Tulsa, Oklahoma to the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas for an event hosted by the Fully Charged YouTube channel.

The team claimed an average efficiency of 1.3 miles per kilowatt-hour while towing. The E-Tron has a 95 kWh battery, but only 84 of those are usable, which gives just under 110 miles between full and empty batteries. EPA range for the SUV is 204 miles, so the trailer cut the available range almost in half.

This doesn’t sound great, but the added time wasn’t double. The team used 150kW fast chargers along the way that each took about 30 minutes to recharge 80% of the battery. They used the Electrify America and Francis Energy charging networks. They weren’t specific about which chargers were used or how long the trip took, but in an ideal case, this would have added a little over two hours to a journey that would normally take around eight.

cct4onrumh05srufcu3k.png

I definitely wouldn’t get an EV if I were needing to tow a trailer 500 miles more than a few times. But the occasional tow doesn’t add too much time, and upcoming electric trucks are claiming a lot more than 204 miles of non-towing range. This wasn’t an exceptionally small or lightweight trailer. Also interesting was what was being towed inside the trailer: the first modern EV, a 1996 GM EV1.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The team claimed an average efficiency of 1.3 miles per kilowatt-hour while towing. The E-Tron has a 95 kWh battery, but only 84 of those are usable, which gives just under 110 miles between full and empty batteries. EPA range for the SUV is 204 miles, so the trailer cut the available range almost in half.

giphy.gif

we ain't there yet.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Is half mpg for towing common for gas/diesel? I haven't paid enough attention to that.

mmmm i'd say solid rule of thumb would be 1/3rd to 2/3rds? of "normal" mpg. of course depends what you're towing

my out west trip:

best tank mpg i saw was 13.5 yesterday driving through the wisco hills. worst i saw was saturday morning, in south dakota, i had a tank that got 7.9. i was going into about a 25-30 mph headwind, in the rain, and running 80mph. overall for the trip was 11.0 mpg- again. every single mile with a trailer behind it. mostly an 18' tandem enclosed, some trips with a 14' single axle open utility trailer. (way easier to load the sxs on here than in the enclosed for the short trips we took)

my truck will get low 20's on the highway empty not driving like ricky bobby.

Reactions: EmersonHart13

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
So to me it sounds like the per mile reduction is okay, its the tank capacity and speed with which that tank is refilled is the issue with EV towing.

yeah, only being able to make it 110 miles would blow.

going out west and only being able to make it 230-240 miles or so sucked in itself. i cannot fucking imagine that getting halfed. take fucking forever to get anywhere.

Reactions: EmersonHart13

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I watched a good video by
So to me it sounds like the per mile reduction is okay, its the tank capacity and speed with which that tank is refilled is the issue with EV towing.

I saw a video last week that showed how the capacity of current batteries is why EV semi and large trucks don't work. The battery size needed wouldn't leave much weight left for cargo weight. Not to have any real distance with the truck. Whereas the energy needed, by volume, for a gas tank is much smaller than the battery packs needed.

This is another good video that talks about the capacity of batteries and gas

Reactions: Yaj Yak

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
My 07 Silverado on flat ground doing 65mph with no headwind will turn 20-21mpg if DoD kicks in. At 70mph I'm doing 17.5mpg wihtout DoD. I pulled a 5000lbs dual axle 29' camper holding 65mph using cruise and still got 13-14mpg. So, more weight than the test used, and got better range. With the 26 gal tank I was getting 300-350 miles between fill ups, and it took less than 10 minutes to fill it up and be on my way.

The EV range under load is getting better, but I certainly wouldn't want to venture too far away from the power grid with it. Until then I can just throw a couple of five gallons cans of distilled dinosaur juice in the back and know I can extend my range comfortably.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I always thought Tesla should create their own trailers with an integrated batteries in the floor. I know you can't use that for all loads, but lighter loads could benefit. They could then charge the trailer while loading and plug the extra batteries into the Tesla semi.

so many loads nowadays are drop and go though.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Knowing how trailers get used now, they would end up toting trailers with dead battery cells across the country. Making efficiency worse.

Local hauling is all I can see box trucks being a viable commercial use of EV. Even then, in winter up north would the cold kill the usefulness there too? If an EV box truck gets 100 miles in good weather will it only get 60 miles in cold climates? What about in places that are hilly or in the mountains.

Sadly, the battery capacity, current charge rates, and infrastructure will make it hard for large trucks and semi to be a competitive option. And at what point will companies jump to them to say they have an EV fleet because they love mother earth? When profits are needed "doing the right thing" gets hard to justify at a price.

Reactions: Yaj Yak
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info