Amsoil question. Which one in my Escalade?

SMRTSS1

Reaction score
:amsoil:
Simple question. Amsoil Signature or OE 5w-30? Is signature worth the extra cost?

Vehicle details are 12 Escalade, 6.2L with 73K on it with no oiling issues or leaks.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Man, just normal ass oil would be perfectly find up in there. Amazon oil is pretty cheap and tests are up there with those brands that are a waste of money.

cdh027

Donating Member
Reaction score
This is TCG. Signature series all day, plus you will sleep better at night.

:eek:hyea:

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
Just the standard XL stuff would probably be fine, unless you plan on going 25,000 miles between oil changes, then use the Signature stuff.

lastls1

Reaction score
Seriously why not just use the amazon oil? The tests out there have shown it’s actually really really good. I just put it in the wife’s Jeep.

I wouldn’t hesitate to put it in the race car either from the tests I’ve watched.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
You will never push even the most base conventional motor oil that meets Dexos1 for MY2012 (which supercedes GM6094M or GM4718M) requirements, to it's limits. So I don't get the need to spend big bucks on oil that you won't really get any perceived benefit out of... Other than longer drain intervals.

I know people get passionate about oil and I get it if you have a race car or some specific need that you're addressing, but in a DD, with a run of the mill GM small block V8, any oil that meets Dexos1 will work fine.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score

SMRTSS1

Reaction score
You will never push even the most base conventional motor oil that meets Dexos1 for MY2012 (which supercedes GM6094M or GM4718M) requirements, to it's limits. So I don't get the need to spend big bucks on oil that you won't really get any perceived benefit out of... Other than longer drain intervals.

I know people get passionate about oil and I get it if you have a race car or some specific need that you're addressing, but in a DD, with a run of the mill GM small block V8, any oil that meets Dexos1 will work fine.
Damn good point and I never really thought of it that way, I’m just thinking a bit of “extra protection” for summer road trips. Thing is I’m also the guy that changes my synthetic oil at 4-5k intervals instead of the 10k factory recommendation.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Again, I will never tell anyone NOT to put in what they want. My only advice whenever I get in to oil threads;

1) Make sure whatever oil you get meets the manufacturer spec/licensing
2) Buy whatever lets you sleep better at night. If that's regular conventional, fine. If it's high dollar synthetic, fine. It's your wallet, but as long as it meets point #1, I don't care.
3) Maintain regular and consistent change frequencies. You seem, like me, to have that covered.

The issue when oil topics come up are the oil manufacturer's chest beating about superior protection, better thermal capacity, yada, yada. The benefits they brag about are so absolutely insignificant, and so far out of reach of whatever you're using your Escalade for, that it's really an irrelevant point.

My 'Burb is pushing 180k. The old van is also pushing 180k. Both get either Valvoline conventional 5W-30 or 5W-20 for the van. If there is a good deal on Valvoline Max Life, I will pop for that because those high mileage oils typically have higher zinc contents, which do help with wear resistance. But yea. You don't need a fancy oil.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
Anybody know of a good site that has done an INDEPENDENT test of motor oil?

Most of the sites I have found look legit, but if you dig a bit deeper, it's obvious they're being run by the oil manufacturers and are no doubt biased.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Actually, now that I think about it, I don't believe conventional motor oils will meet GM's Dexos1 standard. It's got to be a synthetic blend or full synthetic.

Regardless, since you're out of warranty, meeting Dexos1 isn't as critical, but...

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Run anything synthetic off the shelf oil that meets dexos1 (which is most).
Don’t run a fram filter
???????
Profit

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
i run 5w30 signature in the brz, i'm putting that oil through the ringer though. i wouldn't spring that much for normal daily driving stuff

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom