American Marksman

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
thats cool, Ive been after the manager for a year now to get something other than interactive going on, I want local idpa

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
I want to see you and [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] do this.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Too bad all the Illinois ranges are 2hrs+ south. I'd be game for pistol work...

Wish there was more specifics around what style of comp it will be. Like, are we talking 3 gun?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not up enough on shotgun skills (mainly speed loading) to do 3 gun.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Local Qualifying Rules
At the local qualifying level, all shooters will use .22 caliber firearms (.22 long rifle ammunition only) and will choose to use handgun, rifle or both at time of registration. Shooters can bring their own firearms (see in depth rules about firearms below). If shooters do not have their own firearms, they may rent or borrow from the local qualifying range facility, if available.
If a competitor registers for both firearm types, he/she will shoot 2 paper targets for each firearm type.
Targets for the local level will be made of heavy stock paper.
The course of fire (for one firearm) shall be completed using two (2) target sheets and will consist of 3 strings on each target sheet. Two (2) target sheets will be provided with registration fee and will be given to the competitor at the local qualifying range that he/she chose during the registration process.
Target distance shall be 20 feet for handgun and 30 feet for rifle.
All shooting for the local qualifying level will be standing, unsupported.
Total rounds fired per target sheet shall be 25. Total rounds fired during the 2-sheet course of fire will be 50. See the image of the target sheet below for reference.
"String 1": 2 rounds per target, freestyle (10 rounds total)
"String 2": 1 round per target, freestyle (5 rounds total)
"String 3": 2 rounds per target, freestyle (10 rounds total)
Score will be time + penalties. Each of the three (3) strings will be timed separately and recorded on the provided scorecard. After the first 3 strings are complete, Range Master will retrieve target sheet and add up the penalties, which will be added to the score.
Penalties will be scored as follows:
Completely within the center area will be a “0” (no penalty assessed).
Completely within the circular /rings area (stars & stripes) is a 2 second penalty.
Completely outside of the circular area, but still on the target sheet, will be a 4 second penalty. The letters that spell out “American Marksman” count as outside the ring areas.
Any round that completely misses the target sheet will be scored as a 6 second penalty.
Any procedural penalty will be scored as a +6.
Procedural penalties will be defined as:
A round that completely misses the target sheet.
Failure to follow commands or course guidelines.
Any other instance deemed by Range Officer as worthy of procedural penalty.
General rule on penalties: If a round leaves an impact point that crosses over two different scoting areas, the penalty assessed will be the lowest (or least harmful to a competitor’s score) available. The range master administering the contest shall have the final say on all penalties.
Scoring Rules
The total score on each target sheet will be recorded as follows:
String 1 time + String 2 time + String 3 time + all penalties
Maximum Time: Each competitor must finish the 3-string course within 3 minutes. Additional target sheets will not be provided unless competitor registers again on American Marksman: Home and provides confirmation to Range Master.
After the competitor has completed the first 3-string course, the second target will be affixed and the process will begin anew.
Range Master will manually enter scores on to an official American Marksman scoresheet while the contest is underway. After both courses (2 target sheets) have been completed and scored, the Range Master will enter both scores into the American Marksman website for upload to the leaderboards.
After both target sheets have been completed, the range master and competitor will review the results and the range master will explain his/her scoring decisions. If both parties are in agreement, range master and competitor will initial the score sheet and fill in the date. Once a scoresheet is initialed by both parties, no protest and/or complaint will be heard. Please see below for protest procedure.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
At 20 feet with a 22 this could get hard to judge lol

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Meh. Not really interested w/.22. Some guys that do nothing but target shoot have pretty damn tricked .22s. I can't compete against "equipment" - now if everyone had to shoot with the same guns... that'd level the equipment playing field.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
People get crazy with 22's my neighbor just built one and dropped 1500ish on the build, he weighs and measures each bullet at multiple points and separates them into groups, at 30 feet it will make one hole groups and he's not that good of a shot lol

AmMarksman1

Reaction score
American Marksman has three different stages to the competition. The local level is only .22s from a short distance. The top 250 shooters in each division and region will move onto regional championships, IL is in the Great Lakes region. Shooters can attempt to qualify for regionals through May 31st. The Great Lakes Regional Championship will take place in July.

At the regional championship, we continue with .22s and add 9mm, .223 and shotgun stages from greater distances. We will provide all of the firearms for the regional championship, and beyond, to level the playing field. The winner of each division at regionals moves on to the national championship, where we will crown the FIRST American Marksman, taking home $50,000.

We are continually adding ranges across the country. Check out our participating ranges list to see where you can shoot our local course of fire.

American Marksman: Home

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to TCG! :bigthumb: Looking forward to my qualifying shoot. I have a box of 50 AM targets on the way and I actually need to go do my paperwork on my Buck Mark I have coming just for the qualifier!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom