⚡ EV Amazon just spilled more details on its Rivian electric delivery vans

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

Amazon and EV partner Rivian are pulling back the curtain on their electric delivery vehicle, detailing some of the design and platform choices for what’s expected to eventually be a 100,000-strong fleet. Amazon announced it would be using a custom electric vehicle for future deliveries, designed by EV startup Rivian, back in September.

The plan was ambitious. Rivian will eventually produce 100,000 of the specially-designed all-electric trucks for Amazon, with the first deliveries expected to be made by the EVs in 2021. By 2022, the goal is to have 10,000 of the vans on the road; it’ll be 2030 before that full 100,000 are in action.

20191112RivianAmazon_js_05-1280x720.jpg

rivian-amazon-details-1-1280x724.jpg

rivian-amazon-details-3-1280x720.jpg

20191112RivianAmazon_js_22-1200x800.jpg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Local delivery trucks (and school busses) are the strongest case for EVs. Hopefully this works out well
Pretty much any municipal vehicle is a strong case, they really shouldn't ever be leaving town limits, so it makes perfect sense if they are electric with even just a 100 mile range. Especially if all the municipal buildings have solar to cover the electric for charging and general usage.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I feel like this should be here already?
It is, and it's amazing...except for the range. It's basically a city commuter only at that range, kinda missing the mark for motorcycle riders imo. 82 mile range at 70mph, probably more like 70 miles at 85mph, i could barely make it to oakbrook to meet carter and bricher for lunch. No bueno

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-srf/

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I’m excited for this but I second what was said above. Waiting till 2030 to have 100,000 of these on the road? Seems like a really long timeline. I expected 2022 for 100k on the road. That’s more what it should be.
They're still designing it, and it's a startup company. How quickly do you really think they could ramp up production? For reference....almighty Tesla only sold 50k cars in all of 2015. That's with all the investor funds in the world, huge gvt subsidies for the company and their customers, and ~6 years of manufacturing already under their belt.

Not to mention i'm sure all the distro centers probably need to be beefed up to handle the charging load. 100k by 2030 is pretty impressive IMO, especially because Rivian will be making other vehicles at the same time

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
It is, and it's amazing...except for the range. It's basically a city commuter only at that range, kinda missing the mark for motorcycle riders imo. 82 mile range at 70mph, probably more like 70 miles at 85mph, i could barely make it to oakbrook to meet carter and bricher for lunch. No bueno

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-srf/
I mean including over 100 miles of range .. I would have thought they were there by now

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
They're still designing it, and it's a startup company. How quickly do you really think they could ramp up production? For reference....almighty Tesla only sold 50k cars in all of 2015. That's with all the investor funds in the world, huge gvt subsidies for the company and their customers, and ~6 years of manufacturing already under their belt.

Not to mention i'm sure all the distro centers probably need to be beefed up to handle the charging load. 100k by 2030 is pretty impressive IMO, especially because Rivian will be making other vehicles at the same time

I didn’t mean it as a slight to them, just that 10 years is a long ass time for 1 vehicle. I am afraid it will not be relevant once it finally gets mass produced.

In 8 years time we have the S,X, 3, Y (coming in March) a semi truck (not mass produced but in serious real testing right now) and a future roadster.

I used the above simply as an example, because in 10 more years tons of other companies will have products and to me it just felt like a lengthy timeline.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info