Amazing Cooking Discoveries Thread

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
You guys know how many of medicine's wonder drugs have been the result of accidental discoveries? I was wondering how this would translate into the food industry.

I'll start.

Slow cooking bacon. I always used to crank up the heat and cook the bacon as quickly as possible. Thought this was how it was done. Then, one time, I didn't want grease to splatter on my clean stove so I cooked it at medium low rather than medium high.

Eureka! The fat renders better with slower cooking and the bacon just melts in your mouth. Much better taste and texture results than fast cooking.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
My wife made the mistake of putting ground ginger in the pancake batter before she realized it wasn't cinnamon, she added the regular amount of cinnamon into the batter along with the ginger and honestly the pancakes were fucking amazing. Now she makes the ginger pancakes all the time.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
You guys know how many of medicine's wonder drugs have been the result of accidental discoveries? I was wondering how this would translate into the food industry.

I'll start.

Slow cooking bacon. I always used to crank up the heat and cook the bacon as quickly as possible. Thought this was how it was done. Then, one time, I didn't want grease to splatter on my clean stove so I cooked it at medium low rather than medium high.

Eureka! The fat renders better with slower cooking and the bacon just melts in your mouth. Much better taste and texture results than fast cooking.
I actually found this out a week or so ago. The bacon was phenomenonal

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

I'll start.

My wifes grandma told me about cooking bacon in the oven. I bought some cookie racks and put them in a pan and put the bacon on that so it doesnt sit in the fat. Cook @ 350 for 12-18 minutes depending on how thick it is. Bam. Chewy, cooked, less fat bacon.

I also save the fat and use a spoon of it for hashbrowns or fried potatoes. Terrible for you, but gawd damn is it good.

Those crunchy onion things that come in a bag for the top of green bean casserole........go great on a burger. Also, spreading mayonnaise on a bun and grilling it gives it s perfect toastyness. Now, I can't eat a burger without a toasted bun.

I always have a bag of onion strings when I grill burgers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info