3800 Aluminum calipers

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I'm looking to lighten the load, I could care less if the car stops or not; hehe...Anyway, are there any GM calipers that will work on the stock size rotor that are aluminum? I have seen some Malibu's with aluminum one's, but don't know if they will bolt up. I'm rebuilding my LCA's in the next couple of weeks, and want to get a bunch of stuff done, while it's all apart. TIA

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by 98 gtp toy@Aug 25 2004, 08:46 AM
Stocksize I dont know about, but the f-body upgrade is suppose to shed a couple pounds. You loose a lot with the calipers, and gains some back with the larger rotor.
Yup, you add 2lbs of rotating mass per wheel; trying to avoid that. I'm working on lightening/stiffening the front suspension. I've got some new LCA's on the way that I will be lightening, then adding solid bushings to (hopefully can do roller bearings, but have already sourced an upgrade to the crappy forward mount).

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by LP 3800@Aug 25 2004, 09:12 AM
I am pretty sure that machining that much, would warp it.
This would be a good thing to know Ron. I also need to lighten the car and myself a little bit these days :)
I don't know how much I can get off of the LCA's, but they need to be stiffened up for sure. I had a brace for the drivers side LCA I used at the track, and with it on the car pulled incredibly better with it on. I snapped it off at my last track day, so there is some extreme movement there. If what I'm doing ends up being successful I'll share.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

OK, I checked out part #'s and the Grand am V6 is the one to use. However, it may cause some troubs. The rotor diameter is essentially the same, but the rotor thickness is thinner for the GA. So, it may work, but you may need to shave the pads a little. The caliper for the rear is the same used on the GP. Next month I'll pick some up and play with it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list