• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Alternator went bad!! I need one so bad!

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
Guys today at 3pm my car stalled and would crank a little but won't start and then totally stopped cranking. my radio stopped working etc. I had to wait for my buddy to come which took 2 hours and then we charged the battery and drove 1 mile and it died again, charged again another 2 miles and died again, and then waited for tow truck to come and it took another 2 hours.. Basicly i was on the side of the road almost 8 hours.

This is completely BS, first my powersteering pump went bad and now alternator.

This is my daily driver and basicly i have no car now, car is on my driveway and waiting for alternator, Anybody has one to give away or for sale? I need to do the job tomorrow so i can go to work the other day!

Also, is it easy to remove/install alternator? any pictured instructions? estimated time?

Let me know please! Thanks a lot!

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
FR 500 HAND BUILT said:
from what i know it is a bitch to replace it. I have a 99-04 gt alternator but i don't think that will work for the 03. If it can it is yours but i am in gurnee so that could be a problem.

Thanks man! I don't know if it fits either. Isn't it just unblot alternator bolts and remove? hmmm..

i don't get this why they have to put crappy parts on these cars, the car only has 40k and i already replaced bad power steering pump at 34k... it f*cked my entire day! :(

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
OMG!! This was my greatest headache when my alternator took a shit. All I can say is GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL....and good luck! Don't fall for the PA Performance alternator...you don't need one. Just find a factory Ford 03-04 Cobra alternator and use that.

You may also want to read this thread.....

http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/showthread.php3?t=19882

-Mike

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
SonicBlur said:
OMG!! This was my greatest headache when my alternator took a shit. All I can say is GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL....and good luck! Don't fall for the PA Performance alternator...you don't need one. Just find a factory Ford 03-04 Cobra alternator and use that.

You may also want to read this thread.....

http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/showthread.php3?t=19882

-Mike

Mike, as usual! You are awesome!

and yeah, it is hard especially when you dont have another car. :crying:

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
ford stealership already cost me 8 hours on the side of the road, I am gonna trust autozone with their sweet lifetime warranty.

I just got under the car and removed the alternator. a couple parts was tricky but it all worked out. 30 mins alternator out and i think in 15 mins i will put the new one back on.

J

Jpatte

alternator

Either our Alternators have gone out or thier going to be out. Mine went bad without any warning. The fuel pump is the first thing that stops working on low battery voltage. Lucky the car broke down in front of a car nut's house. He save my ass by charging the battery so I could make it back home. The only place I could find an alternator was at a ford dealership.

J

Jpatte

I called Currie motors in frankfort, (not to far from you). They told me that a alternator can be at the dealership at 3pm today. $293.52 plus core charge of $75.00. An order would have to be made within a short period of time. Let me know if you need help.

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
Blood on Blood said:
Just in case, while you are at Autozone, also pick up a starter and water pump.

Dave

I am broke!

Jpatte, thanks a lot for trying to help man. actually frankfort was the area that my car broke down and i live like 30 miles away from there.

293 bucks for SHITTY ford alternator, that is rip off!

I just helped autozone big time cuz idiots have GT alternator on their stores for 03 cobras and even on their web site! i told them that it is for GT not cobra and he said that 04 and 03 cobra alternator is different and i told them that not possible, you guys have it wrong on their system and they were convinced and they will change it.,

I can't find any alternator in stock and they gotta order. i will probably not be able to make to sutton dyno day. :mad:

hell, i am hungry now and i can't even go to store to pick something to eat, wife is out of town with her car.

stuation totally sucks, Time to fix my LT1 for stuations like this. that damn thing needs alternator too!

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Call Tousley Ford parts depot selling all OEM Ford and Ford Racing parts 10% over dealer cost. Their number is 1-800-328-9552, ask for parts department and tell them you are a member from SVT Performance.com. Two guys who may still work there are Steve and Mike.

If you do not have someone to put on the alternator for you, call George Hioureas at 708-516-6780. He will perform the install for under $100. He can also get alternators for around 10% over cost too. He is located in the Orland/Frankfort area. Tell him I sent you.

Good Luck.

Dave

3v2000GT

TCG Elite Member
May 7, 2007
doodad said:
Thanks guys! i went ahead and bought one from autozone with LT warranty and did the job myself and it was piece of cake. the link Mike posted made the job very VERY easy! cost me like 220 bucks. That is almost a heat exhanger :(

Nice! glad it worked out ok for you, i just had my alternator replaced.

Now we gotta race!!! ha ah ha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info