alright tcg martha stewarts. what's your turkey tidbits and how-to's.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
drench it in a1 steak sauce and salt and put it in the oven at 475?

i read it on the internet

microwave might work too.

nah truth be told, if you're planning to eat it thursday you needa hustle at this point :rofl:

id thaw it under cold water and then refrigerate and fuck, if there's one thing i preach on here, spatch cock that shit and dry brine it tomorrow night.

my 15 lb'er i just did took 5 days to thaw in the fridge and i pulled it out a few times and set it on my stove to accelerate it thawing for a few hours at a time.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Shit pictures but it turned out awesome. Spatchcoocccked. Dry brine with salt and baking powder and rested in the fridge. The bone in breast I had to remove the skin from because I tented it in the fridge in tinfoil and bits of it stuck to the foil and WOULD NOT come off which sucked but was still delicious.

Grilled over charcoal about two hours. The tinfoil was in place to speed up cooking in places and slow it down in others.

I hacked the spatchcocked back bones up, sautéed them, roasted and then made stock for the gravy and dressing and to stock up also. Badumpch

1118202022_HDR.jpg

1119201720_HDR.jpg

1119202001.jpg

1119202016.jpg

1120201744_HDR.jpg

1121201437.jpg

1121201524_HDR.jpg

1121201524.jpg

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
microwave might work too.

nah truth be told, if you're planning to eat it thursday you needa hustle at this point :rofl:

id thaw it under cold water and then refrigerate and fuck, if there's one thing i preach on here, spatch cock that shit and dry brine it tomorrow night.

my 15 lb'er i just did took 5 days to thaw in the fridge and i pulled it out a few times and set it on my stove to accelerate it thawing for a few hours at a time.
nah, no need for this thursday, grandma has that covered. i just mean in general, gunna need to cook it eventually before it goes bad like 75% of my food does that megan buys and never cooks.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
It is decided. I'm cooking a turkey on the Weber for me and Amy tomorrow and, on our fake Thanksgiving on Sunday when all my kids are in town, I am going to

SOUS VIDE ONE OF THE TURKEYS!

That's right. 12 hours sous vide at 150* for the breasts and 24 hours sous vide at 150* for the legs. I'll butcher the turkey into legs and breasts and use the carcass and wings for gravy and stuffing. Pre brown the skin in cast iron pans, then Sage, Rosemary, Thyme and salt in the sous vide bags, vacuum seal and into the sous vide bath for what will supposedly be some of the most succulent, perfectly cooked turkey ever. I'll finish the skin with my blow torch in front of the kids. They already know their dad is crazy but why not reinforce the idea? ?

I'll do a back up turkey on the Weber just in case...

Reactions: Spivitz

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I pulled this bird at 158*. Gonna let it rest for an hour. The french videos I was watching last night said let the bird rest as long as it was cooked. That seems a bit excessive?

You can see the compound butter and spices under the skin. I dry brined it because you guys made that sound attractive. Skin is crispy. Maldon salt and a brown sugar mix for the overnight dry brine. Today I let my compound butter of Plugra butter, sage, thyme and rosemary soften then I stuffed it in under the skin. I didn't have unsalted butter so I took it easy with it because I am trying to avoid over salting the turkey.

I have had the neck, gizzard and giblets simmering in chicken broth, beef broth, caramelized onions, sage, thyme and rosemary for the last couple hours. Good depth of flavors to make the gravy from. I'm making a roux now to thicken it up. After I finish it, I'll taste it and add some of the turkey drippings if I need more flavor.

It's just Amy and me today. Kids aren't in town yet or are with their GF's family today. Their loss.

LQEFqQF.jpg

I will add the roux as a thickener and strain all the solids out of the gravy when I am ready for it.

ZH1f5aN.jpg

Reactions: Jamesv82
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info