alright tcg martha stewarts. what's your turkey tidbits and how-to's.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I usually get one or two free from our works and then buy a couple while they are cheap. Toss a couple in the freezer and cook a couple. I grill or smoke one and do one in the oven.

Spatchcocking works well and is easy.

If I am cooking the entire bird, I make a compound butter with rosemary, thyme and sage chopped up and mixed in with a stick or two of room temp. butter. Then I roll the butter up in plastic and put it in the fridge until I'm ready to use it. I soften it again and then push it up UNDER the skin. Once you get it under the edge of the skin, you can push from the outside to get it up further. Then push from the inside to lift more skin and repeat. Try to spread it around evenly without ripping the skin. Seasoning under the skin lets the seasonings get into the meat compared to it being blocked by the skin. Adds a lot of flavor to the meat. I have done it on top of and under for comparison and my guests all prefer the under the skin seasoned bird.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
so i cant find my notes from when i smoked 2 breasts lsat year. i thought i might have put them in here as they arnt saved on my desktop folder.

soooooooo

give me an easy brine for 2 breasts that i plan on injecting with Tony chacheres butter and some sort of herb/garlic rub to then smoke.....

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
How to Dry-Brine
Combine half a cup of Diamond Crystal kosher salt (or six tablespoons Morton's kosher salt) with two tablespoons of baking powder in a bowl. Carefully pat your turkey dry with paper towels. Generously sprinkle the salt mixture on all surfaces by picking up the mixture between your thumb and fingers, holding it six to 10 inches above the bird, and letting the mixture shower down over the surface of the turkey for even coverage. The turkey should be well coated with salt, though not completely encrusted.

Warning: You will most likely not need all of the salt. In some cases, less than half will be okay; it depends on the size of your bird and your salt preferences.

Transfer the turkey to a rack set in a rimmed baking sheet, and refrigerate, uncovered, for 12 to 24 hours. Without rinsing, roast using one of our turkey recipes, omitting any additional salting steps called for in those recipes.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Traditional Versus Dry Brine—Which Is Better?
I vastly prefer dry brining. A traditional brine will plump up your turkey with moisture, but that moisture is mainly water, leading to a turkey that tastes watered down. A dry brine, on the other hand, helps a turkey retain its natural moisture without adding any excess liquid, which leads to more intensely flavored results.

Adding baking powder to a dry brine can also improve your turkey skin. Not only does the baking powder work to break down some skin proteins, causing them to crisp and brown more efficiently, it also combines with turkey juices, forming microscopic bubbles that add surface area and crunch to the skin as it roasts.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
brine'd (garlic, seasonings, salt, pretty basic)two 3lb breasts for 24hrs..
injected wednesday night with that creol butter thing you can buy anywhere
rubbed it wednesday night also, with mccormick perfect pinch rotisserie chicken season.

smoked thursday morning at 210-225 degrees for, i think, something like 4 hours.
pulled it at 158 degrees
wrapped in foil and beach towels to go to the party..

2 hours later, they dropped to 125 degrees, so i warmed them in the 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes and then carved.

it was a hit! everyone, even the people that dont really like smoked meats loved it.
dat be a "Dry brine?"

:werd: but i found what you did last year also, above.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
giphy.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info