alright tcg martha stewarts. what's your turkey tidbits and how-to's.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
anyone have the charbroil big easy oil-less fryer?
im thinking of picking one up. it seems soo easy!!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VT9RRR/?tag=tcg21-20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QOFWFSncSI

I actually have the bigger version Char-Broil 3-In-1 infrared.

Just did a turkey yesterday in this for our early Thanksgiving, it came out awesome and the family loved it. I got a 24 lbs bird and 2 - 3 lbs breasts.

The night before cooking I injected a homemade marinade, used a pint of Amber beer, stick of butter, and probably 2-3 tablespoons of Goya. On the outside I coated the turkey with vegetable oil and McCormick perfect rotisserie dry rub. So damn good!

IMG_8623.jpg

IMG_8624.jpg

IMG_8626.jpg

IMG_8627.jpg

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
I actually have the bigger version Char-Broil 3-In-1 infrared.

Just did a turkey yesterday in this for our early Thanksgiving, it came out awesome and the family loved it. I got a 24 lbs bird and 2 - 3 lbs breasts.

The night before cooking I injected a homemade marinade, used a pint of Amber beer, stick of butter, and probably 2-3 tablespoons of Goya. On the outside I coated the turkey with vegetable oil and McCormick perfect rotisserie dry rub. So damn good!

View attachment 35736

View attachment 35737

View attachment 35738

View attachment 35739

Wifey McBitchface just put the ax down on me doing a cajun rub.. so im going to use that mccormick rotisserie seasoning you mentioned along with the Tony chacheres creole style butter injection.

• Haha
Reactions: Yaj Yak

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Very enjoyable. A little strange with traditional sides but delicious with bbq sauce. I used two fist-sized chunks of applewood but think one would have been better. A lot of smoke flavor, perhaps too much for turkey. Nice little smoke ring, and still moist in the inside - water pan was used. Was a 3-hour cook with a single breast, 4 pounds, around 225 degrees monitored by a Weber igrill. Wrapped in foil for 20 minutes after the cook. Was a fresh turkey breast, rubbed with McCormick poultry seasoning and that’s all.

IMG_7219.JPG

IMG_7222.JPG

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I think there are two keys to a great turkey.

Brine it overnight in a salt/sugar/ice water combo. Heat up the salt/sugar in a pot of water to get it to dissolve, stir, stir and then let it cool.

Take everything out of the turkey cavity and put it in a bucket or cooler. I use a cooler so it stays colder. Add ice water and the pot of salt/sugar. The turkey will gradually pull the salt in and pick up a ton of moisture.

2nd thing is putting a compound butter under the skin. I use Thyme, Sage and Rosemary. Chop up fresh herbs and add them to room temp. butter. Then I pull the skin up carefully so I don't tear it until I have separated it from the meat. Gotta use your hands for the next part, too. Grab a glop of compound butter and shove it under. Massage it to cover the breast. Once you have the inside the skin area covered, use the rest on the outside of the skin. Drizzle it with oil to protect the butter from burning.

This method adds tons of flavor to the meat. Much better than seasoning the outside. I'm going to do one turkey in the oven and one on the grill.

I'm filling the cavities with onions, lemon, salt & pepper maybe a couple of bay leaves. When I pull this stuff out, I'll put it in the gravy pan along with drippings, flour and simmer until it's ready. Taste at the end and adjust with butter/salt/pepper if necessary. I smash the gravy down to extract the flavor from the onions/lemon and then put it through a strainer for the finished product.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info