All new cars will be required to come with passive alcohol detection systems to prevent drunk driving by 2024?

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Read it again..that's absolutely not what i'm saying

It took me a second...

It should be okay to do it though, driving isnt a right.

Just have to explain to police departments they wont be able to write speeding tickets anymore. Which might be a good thing and allow them to enforce other laws instead of writing tickets all day.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Bottom line, if the auto manufacturers and insurance companies support this legislation then it will pass.

If they don’t, it wont

But we know there will be back room deals / negations going on
it wont pass. 100% guaranteed.

there is no chance they would be able to manage and calibrate them. Not including the other many reasons that a BAC sensor can be inaccurate.

This is just political grand standing.

Factors that Can Affect Breathalyzer Accuracy

Nevertheless, one should always be aware that a breathalyzer is a machine that can be influenced by outside factors if the user is not careful. Here are just a few than can potentially cause errors:

• Foreign SubstancesSubstances present in the mouth that contain alcohol can produce false positives because the amount of alcohol vapor they emit may be greater than the amount exhaled from the lungs. For example, some mouthwashes, breath fresheners, and toothache medicines contain alcohol and can skew readings.
  • Calibration Breathalyzers must be calibrated periodically and batteries must be replaced in order to maintain accuracy. Read more about breathalyzer calibration.
  • Software – Breathalyzers run on special software, just as computers rely on operating systems, which can result in occasional bugs and glitches.
  • Human Error – As easy as breathalyzers are to use, they still require some attention to detail.
  • Consistency – To ensure accuracy, breath tests should be performed multiple times to produce a reliable result. Breathalyzers that utilize fuel cell sensor technology provide the most reliable and accurate results in repeated tests.
  • Environmental Factors – False results can be triggered by the presence of paint fumes, varnish, and chemicals such as plastics and adhesives.

Reactions: BeerOrGasoline

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
It took me a second...

It should be okay to do it though, driving isnt a right.

Just have to explain to police departments they wont be able to write speeding tickets anymore. Which might be a good thing and allow them to enforce other laws instead of writing tickets all day.
Unfortunately yes, they could do it if they wanted

Keep in mind in the backdrop of this whole thing, the manufacturers (and government) need to keep car ownership per capita increasing, which is not easy as people migrate to big cities and ridesharing becomes more mainstream. Our economy is heavily dependent on people buying cars and driving them, so they can't make the experience too miserable

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Unfortunately yes, they could do it if they wanted

Keep in mind in the backdrop of this whole thing, the manufacturers (and government) need to keep car ownership per capita increasing, which is not easy as people migrate to big cities and ridesharing becomes more mainstream. Our economy is heavily dependent on people buying cars and driving them, so they can't make the experience too miserable

I work in the transit industry, I'm all for more buses and trains. :bowrofl:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Which of your constitutional rights would ferd be violating if they governed your vehicle to the speed limit? :)
Nothing can stop me from removing the governor.

Or bypassing this stupid BAC sensor.

its a crappy solution.

Self driving cars is better then requiring a BAC reading to start a car :rofl:

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
BTW driving is not a privilege.

I can drive without a drivers license as fast as I want on my own private property all fucking day with no seat belts and airbags blown to shit.

It is a privilege to use state funded roads.

You mean the roads our taxes paid for? A priveledge is using those roads to generate income.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Driving is absolutely a privilege, and is not a right.

You have the right to freely travel...but that doesn't mean it has to be in a car...it can be on a bus, train, airplane, horse drawn buggy, unicycle. You also have the right to own a car because it is property, but operating it on public roads is a different story. Just because we pay for something in taxes, doesn't mean we have the right to have, see, obtain, what those taxes are used for. We paid a shit load of money for the F-22 Raptor, but a citizen cannot just go out and pick one up on Amazon. Nor do they have the right to wander onto an airbase to have a look around.

Reactions: guspech750

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Driving is absolutely a privilege, and is not a right.

You have the right to freely travel...but that doesn't mean it has to be in a car...it can be on a bus, train, airplane, horse drawn buggy, unicycle. You also have the right to own a car because it is property, but operating it on public roads is a different story. Just because we pay for something in taxes, doesn't mean we have the right to have, see, obtain, what those taxes are used for. We paid a shit load of money for the F-22 Raptor, but a citizen cannot just go out and pick one up on Amazon. Nor do they have the right to wander onto an airbase to have a look around.
So that makes driving a right....free to travel right.

But it's a privilege to use on public roads.

Hence why I said you can buy acres of property and drive on it while drinking, no seat belts and going 100mph and police can't do shit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info