All new cars will be required to come with passive alcohol detection systems to prevent drunk driving by 2024?

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
And I think Carters "ramblings" are simply a point to not just bend over and take any government regulation just cause it "will happen" or is in the name of "safety".
His ramblings cited the constitution and compared driving to gun ownership. Total false comparison

Chester Copperpot Chester Copperpot ES!

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Do joo guys understand how the constitution and basic rights work? If not maybe I can find you some quick sources, then you can read them and stop throwing amendments around where they don't apply

I did it for you.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Government mandates breathalyzer and decides "guess what, we're now utilizing that data for 'pre-crime'" and arrests you solely because they were able to get a warrant from your...

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

The Fifth Amendment of the Constitution protects a person from being compelled to incriminate oneself.

...self-incrimination! You being COMPELLED to buy a new vehicle with this breathalyzer system because "safety"

Last edited:

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Dude

You speed every day and your vehicle knows it
You drive without a seatbelt and your vehicle knows it

Yet nothing is sent to the police. In the case of an accident they will get a warrant and pull your vehicle data if the damage is bad enough, but again, that's with a warrant.

"Precrime" is a TOTALLY different discussion than having a vehicle that won't start because it detects alcohol on your breath.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Thankfully I can still shoot up heroin and drive.... :s00ls:

So serious question Conrad..... Do you think it should be allowed to start even if it sense you at say .07 BAC?

If it starts at .07 and the driver kills some kid who was playing in the street, is the vehicle manufacturer liable for letting the car start?

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005

So serious question Conrad..... Do you think it should be allowed to start even if it sense you at say .07 BAC?

If it starts at .07 and the driver kills some kid who was playing in the street, is the vehicle manufacturer liable for letting the car start?

.07 legally is sober, correct?

But overall impairment while driving, via drugs, alcohol or fatigue, is the bigger issue.

Though I agree, how the vehicle assesses the state of the driver, and how the data is used, needs to not infringe on folks constitutional rights. It is a fine line.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN

IMO it should be a little over the legal limit, but that's not my call to make. The vehicle manufacturer won't be liable, just like if you have a tesla set to autopilot with a threshold of 90mph and you crash doing 85 in a 70, tesla isn't liable because the driver made the choice to speed.

I'd much rather they focus on this than something like figuring out how to govern vehicles to within ~10mph of the current speed limit, because that's totally feasible from a software perspective. Hell many new cars tell you what the current speed limit is

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
.07 legally is sober, correct?

But overall impairment while driving, via drugs, alcohol or fatigue, is the bigger issue.

Though I agree, how the vehicle assesses the state of the driver, and how the data is used, needs to not infringe on folks constitutional rights. It is a fine line.

No.

As stated in the open container thread, you can 100% still get a DUI if you blow less than a .08.

We're seeing more and more states legalize marijuana, so we might as well ensure the breathalyzer checks for BAC and also if the user has smoked marijuana recently correct?

So the first time someone has a DUI and the car started, the vehicle manufacturer gets sued. Then they change it to car wont start if over .04, and if it is less than .04 but greater than .01 we will send notification to your insurance agency and or local police.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Black box, gps, phone, every purchase from a credit / debit card, street cameras, business cameras, employer, others with phones, home address, ISP, Google, Facebook, etc.

The Govt and Corporations already has the means to track

But you also have the means to avoid all of that privately.

Emissions don't result in immediate injury or death like drunk driving accidents do....so that's a pretty terrible comparison. Aaaand the airbag or latch system only impact the people in that specific vehicle, not other drivers on the road

I'm not saying i'm for or against this, but you guys crying "BUT MUH CONSTITUTION" are cracking me up. There's no violation here, driving isn't a right, stfu.

As for my official stance: if this is cheap technology, which it seems like it would be, i'm good with it. If it's not, i'm not OK with it.

With the mountains of personal data you guys voluntarily give up on a daily basis, I don't think this is much to be concerned about.

maybe you give up "mountains of personal data", but I don't.

So your belief is that one day the OEM's will proactively send your BAC to the local PD? Pretty ridiculous thought if you ask me. THAT'S where the constitutionalists will go fucking crazy, and they'll win in court. If your concern is that the data gets pulled after a severe accident that injures or kills someone, that already happens today and they already have your BAC.

Just like those ring cameras.... "we wont use this data...." yet they technically own it and are now working directly with PD to give out your video of a product you bought...

so who would own the BAC readings? Who is going to calibrate the units?

If I am in an emergency and the BAC sensor is inaccurate and saying I am drunk without a way to bypass it, and now I get injured or can't escape because of a failing sensor.... are the OEMs going to be responsible for redudant sensors and verifying the accuracy regularly? on the tax payers dime? Who is paying for it? Can I now sue the OEMs?

detecting BAC accurately over time requires a lot more then just "install the sensor and go", hence why police have to get their device calibrated regularly.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but if they did disable the vehicle, it still wouldn't be a violation of your rights

No but forcing me to be monitored in my private vehicle does.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
detecting BAC accurately over time requires a lot more then just "install the sensor and go", hence why police have to get their device calibrated regularly.

Dont worry, theyll get that all figured out with the $35 million written into the bill for the government....

Im sure it also will not go over that $35 million budget. :s00ls:

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
If I am in an emergency and the BAC sensor is inaccurate and saying I am drunk without a way to bypass it, and now I get injured or can't escape because of a failing sensor.... are the OEMs going to be responsible for redudant sensors and verifying the accuracy regularly? on the tax payers dime? Who is paying for it? Can I now sue the OEMs?

No but forcing me to be monitored in my private vehicle does.

1. That's the case with literally every other sensor on your vehicle...and there are hundreds of them that can fail at any time, hell a lot of them only exist because of fed emissions requirements which IMO have a lot less value than a sensor that won't allow you to drive drunk
2. The OP doesn't state anything about being monitored, just shutting off a vehicle automatically if it senses you're drunk. As long as any available data isn't turned over to the gvt without a warrant, there's no violation of your rights.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Who is liable with this use case today when aftermarket breathalyzers are installed?

Does it matter? That's a totally different scenario. If you have one in your car currently its because you were already busted driving under the influence and were ordered by a judge to have one installed in your vehicle.

Not you have never been busted for a DUI ever in your life but you must be subject to a test anytime you wish to start your vehicle.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
1. That's the case with literally every other sensor on your vehicle...and there are hundreds of them that can fail at any time
2. The OP doesn't state anything about being monitored, just shutting off a vehicle automatically if it senses you're drunk. As long as the data isn't turned over to the gvt without a warrant, there's no violation of your rights.
But those sensors dont require my biological information for me to use the car.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I'd much rather they focus on this than something like figuring out how to govern vehicles to within ~10mph of the current speed limit, because that's totally feasible from a software perspective. Hell many new cars tell you what the current speed limit is.

Am I reading this right? You would be okay with them governing everyone's vehicle so it is not able to go more than 10mph over any posted speed limit?

• Wow
Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Not all of it, but if one feels the evolution of technology in vehicles is infringing on one’s privacy or rights, then don’t buy a new vehicle.

Not being sarcastic; the less technology in a vehicle, the less data can be recovered from a vehicle.

Thats an option, but then again, tracking technology should be optional add-ons.

It is one of the reasons I am against owning a Tesla.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Not all of it, but if one feels the evolution of technology in vehicles is infringing on one’s privacy or rights, then don’t buy a new vehicle.

Not being sarcastic; the less technology in a vehicle, the less data can be recovered from a vehicle.

What if they say it must be retrofit into any vehicle that drives on the road... You know, cause safety.

I have a feeling theyre already pushing for shit like this in California (airbags) after Kevin Hart's restomod crash, whats to stop them from enforcing it to be installed on any vehicle?

Bird1989

Regular
Dec 24, 2015
There is no way something like this can be effective... Your BAC level can go up after consuming and waiting a bit... Say you have 4 beers in a hour which normally puts someone around a .1 or so. They get into the vehicle 5-10 minutes after finishing their last drink there BAC is still going up. That's why there's a minimum 20 minute observation period prior to giving a sample after someone has been arrested for DUI. Like mentioned prior there are way to many other factors, Drug DUI, mix of alcohol and drugs, etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info