• 0623dfd84b62527f6a192ee3f67c77eb.jpg
    0623dfd84b62527f6a192ee3f67c77eb.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 109

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Another reveal of airless tires, along with the Olli auntonomous shuttle

That guy from good year had a lot to say without providing any information. My take on his ambiguous answer when asked if these tires will be available on vehicles coming off the lot is a firm no. Based on the other things he said I am thinking that this tire is either way too expensive to make and/or lasts way too long.

If the tire has amazing durability that just kills the consumable element of the tire industry thus reducing repeat buys which is obviously terrible for business. Looking at the construction of the tire there is no way that gets mounted on a standard wheel so the wheel industry would have to shift. The tire actually has a steel inner core? That suggests to me if that the earlier designs that had maybe just a plastic or rubber core did't fair well in longevity or durability. Even if the wheel industry had a partial shift to making the bolt on inner wheel face, they would need to come up with a better design than a slew of small fasteners that holds everything together. After driving in the elements with rain/mud/salt etc.. those things would NEVER come off.

I can't see this being a great performance tire or wheel. The weight on this looks to be a lot and based on Goodyear seemingly focusing on autonomous/electric vehicles, I bet the characteristics of this tire are not ideal for a lot of dynamic changes in load from the vehicle.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Agree. You buy a new wheel / tire as one unit.

I was also thinking weight as an issue.

Shall see how it goes with the Olli

That guy from good year had a lot to say without providing any information. My take on his ambiguous answer when asked if these tires will be available on vehicles coming off the lot is a firm no. Based on the other things he said I am thinking that this tire is either way too expensive to make and/or lasts way too long.

If the tire has amazing durability that just kills the consumable element of the tire industry thus reducing repeat buys which is obviously terrible for business. Looking at the construction of the tire there is no way that gets mounted on a standard wheel so the wheel industry would have to shift. The tire actually has a steel inner core? That suggests to me if that the earlier designs that had maybe just a plastic or rubber core did't fair well in longevity or durability. Even if the wheel industry had a partial shift to making the bolt on inner wheel face, they would need to come up with a better design than a slew of small fasteners that holds everything together. After driving in the elements with rain/mud/salt etc.. those things would NEVER come off.

I can't see this being a great performance tire or wheel. The weight on this looks to be a lot and based on Goodyear seemingly focusing on autonomous/electric vehicles, I bet the characteristics of this tire are not ideal for a lot of dynamic changes in load from the vehicle.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Thats one area they'd excel at. utility things such as lawn mowers and such.

However, I'd feel better if it was sealed so that crap couldn't get inside the tire.

Can you imaging if snow/ice/water gets inside and freezes? Could really throw the weight of the wheel off and cause some nasty vibrations.

Reactions: greasy

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Thats one area they'd excel at. utility things such as lawn mowers and such.

However, I'd feel better if it was sealed so that crap couldn't get inside the tire.

Can you imaging if snow/ice/water gets inside and freezes? Could really throw the weight of the wheel off and cause some nasty vibrations.
Excellent point. Drive that way for too long and it'd also beat the crap out of the wheel bearings.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info