Air to water intercooler, thoughts?

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
W/A is great, but heat soaks easy. For a street car A/A is best. That's the general explaination. W/A will give you best cooling and therefore allow more power, setting it up properly and maintenance are why it's not as good for a street car. Other than that, they both do the same thing.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
if my geeteepee sees the light of day ever again im going a2w
giphy.gif

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
On my mustang I would run about 25-30* above ambient that was with a 7 gallon ice tank full of water and a rule 2000 intank feeding a huge emp external pump, the larger capacity system will stay cooler, also if you race ice is awesome you can get well below ambient temps
Very much agree. Not hard to set an A2W up right flow and capacity is really all you need to worry about. In a 1/4 mile-1/2 mile setting it's great. I ran A2W on the street no problem. If I had a choice for a street car I'd just do A2A and a little meth.

Reactions: 1quick

Chip

Aug 20, 2021
Very much agree. Not hard to set an A2W up right flow and capacity is really all you need to worry about. In a 1/4 mile-1/2 mile setting it's great. I ran A2W on the street no problem. If I had a choice for a street car I'd just do A2A and a little meth.

You might want to watch Richard holdeners videos on meth, which debunk it's safety.

It is dropping temps on your iat sensor and yes there is lots of "I ran so much psi with meth" stories but his cylinder by cylinder testing shows that unless you have true direct port meth injection it isn't hitting each cylinder (in his tests I believe it only hits the front 2). Basically a fake safety blanket.

Pump e85 is all around better and seems everyone in small block power adder in drag week has gone away from meth to e85.

As far as a2a vs a2w I had as ebay 31x12x4 a2a on my last car but it sometimes got really hot in stop and go in 100+ ambient. On my new car I am trying a factory 6.7 power stroke a2w ic off ebay with an amg electric a2w Bosch pump but no idea how it will work yet

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Most air-to-air have absolutely crap air distribution in the end tanks. So unless there's diverter panels in there to make sure that the airflow gets to the tubes away from the inlet and Outlet ports you're not cooling as well as you could be with a cheap a2aic.

The core density and often the size of air-to-water cores ensure that there's far more even airflow through the core tubes.

Air-to-air systems and large heat exchanger air-to-water setups do require you to have your cooling system on point along with your air ducting properly fitted and making sure no air can bypass around the core and radiator defeating their efficiency

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I'm another one who ran a A2W. One of my biggest reasons for the A2W was packaging and heat management. In a Foxbody with a/c, it is hard to make an intercooler of any size fit in front of the a/c condenser. Plus I didn't want an issue with the cooling system for the engine. I drove the car way too much to park it half the season because it overheats when I drive it.

The A2W was a good Garrett core and engineered tanks. Perks of two engineers doing the fab work. lol The A2W intercooler was in the inner fender & bumper area. I also ran a heat exchanger in the lower bumper to help cool the water when ice wasn't being used. It also had a large water tank. So driving was always just a couple degrees over ambient temps. But the ice was worth the effort on hot track days. Below ambient AIT is pretty amazing.

Reactions: LikeABauce302
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info