• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Ah...fall is in the air. Now if I could drive!

VNMOUS1

Light fuse, get away.
Nov 22, 2006
Three passes at Da Grove today. Lots of nice cars for T&T. 65 degree weather made a difference. 60s aren't too hot, but power was strong:

#1 #2 #3
R/T .212 .028 .188
60' 1.861 1.804 1.760
330 5.055 4.952 4.894
1/8 7.624 7.50 7.447
MPH 42.01 (broken) 47.52 (broken) 96.56 (other lane)
1000 9.825 9.688 9.641
1/4 11.658 11.515 11.482
MPH 126.06 125.92 122.90 (heat soak)

Saw some really good times for a lot of people today. Temp was 63, r/h was 51%.

Saw a new ZR1 run today. His best was an 11.48 @127 but he was also on street tires. Very cool, but $100k +, I don't know.

Some guy in a Z06 broke loose about 1/3 down the track. Rather than get out of it, he apparently tried to pedal it. BAD idea! It starts fishing and manages to turn it all the way around and miss the opposite wall by about a foot!

My wife said she thought she smelled crap when he drove back by on the return road! :eek:

bj

EDIT: Gee, that made some really nice columns, huh? Sorry.

VNMOUS1

Light fuse, get away.
Nov 22, 2006
Yeah I went to Byron and the best I could manage with my stock car was [email protected] with a 2.06 sixty. Great air, but super busy track.

I thought about it but then saw they'd rescheduled Black Sunday for today and knew it would be way busy. The couple of times I've been over there it's been a bitch. Hours for a couple of runs. Not too busy at Da Grove today although it was open racing.

bj

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I thought about it but then saw they'd rescheduled Black Sunday for today and knew it would be way busy. The couple of times I've been over there it's been a bitch. Hours for a couple of runs. Not too busy at Da Grove today although it was open racing.

bj

Yeah, I had no idea that they did that either. When we got there, they wanted $55 for me and the wife to get in and for me to drive. I said fuck that. I bitched that I dont care who the wise guys are and what black sunday was and they let us in for $35.

VNMOUS1

Light fuse, get away.
Nov 22, 2006
Yeah, I had no idea that they did that either. When we got there, they wanted $55 for me and the wife to get in and for me to drive. I said fuck that. I bitched that I dont care who the wise guys are and what black sunday was and they let us in for $35.

Nicely negotiated!

:biggthump

What it means is there's more shit in front of you, so you should pay less!!

bj

VNMOUS1

Light fuse, get away.
Nov 22, 2006
Congrats, they are giving you a hard time for those times? I know the rules but come on. Man its time to head to Byron:biggthump

I think they were bored. I was surprised that the tech guy immediately looked for steel valve stems! Just doin' their job I guess. Seem to be a lot stricter on "slicks night".

Got about 10 runs in. Not real proud of the ones where my hand/eye coordination went to shit and I beat the limiter to death. :eek:h:

Trying to get a trip to Byron set up.

bj

SVT SPEED 04

TCG Elite Member
Jun 9, 2004
I think they were bored. I was surprised that the tech guy immediately looked for steel valve stems! Just doin' their job I guess. Seem to be a lot stricter on "slicks night".

Got about 10 runs in. Not real proud of the ones where my hand/eye coordination went to shit and I beat the limiter to death. :eek:h:

Trying to get a trip to Byron set up.

bj

see you Sunday! more and more track time is needed and the ET will drop

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Three passes at Da Grove today. Lots of nice cars for T&T. 65 degree weather made a difference. 60s aren't too hot, but power was strong:

#1 #2 #3
R/T .212 .028 .188
60' 1.861 1.804 1.760
330 5.055 4.952 4.894
1/8 7.624 7.50 7.447
MPH 42.01 (broken) 47.52 (broken) 96.56 (other lane)
1000 9.825 9.688 9.641
1/4 11.658 11.515 11.482
MPH 126.06 125.92 122.90 (heat soak)

Saw some really good times for a lot of people today. Temp was 63, r/h was 51%.

Saw a new ZR1 run today. His best was an 11.48 @127 but he was also on street tires. Very cool, but $100k +, I don't know.

Some guy in a Z06 broke loose about 1/3 down the track. Rather than get out of it, he apparently tried to pedal it. BAD idea! It starts fishing and manages to turn it all the way around and miss the opposite wall by about a foot!

My wife said she thought she smelled crap when he drove back by on the return road! :eek:

bj

EDIT: Gee, that made some really nice columns, huh? Sorry.

These times look great to me, mid to low 11.s is FAST! I think high tens are there, but how hard will you beat that car? I was always affraid of hitting my 03 that hard, and yet, I thought I was hammering it, I don't know what it takes to get a low 11 out of my 03, but it's there, I know that. I think you're doing great, especially with only a pulley tuned car, those times are great. Are others posting quicker times?

VNMOUS1

Light fuse, get away.
Nov 22, 2006
These times look great to me, mid to low 11.s is FAST! I think high tens are there, but how hard will you beat that car? I was always affraid of hitting my 03 that hard, and yet, I thought I was hammering it, I don't know what it takes to get a low 11 out of my 03, but it's there, I know that. I think you're doing great, especially with only a pulley tuned car, those times are great. Are others posting quicker times?

The 11.38@122 on "slicks night" at Da Grove was its best. It's run as fast as 126 but the ET wasn't there.

And to answer the important question....I'll beat it hard enough to see 10.99 on a stock blower. No one can accuse me of being one of the old men with too much money that won't/can't drive their cars. I am old (53) compared to most on these boards....Lord knows I don't have money by any stretch of the imagination....and it's not my first rodeo when it comes to racing (it just wasn't in cars).

I haven't seen anything faster on a pulley-only but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist (probably does). There are a TON of people with more horsepower- a LOT more- but they can't do anything with it.

Mid October...we're waiting for you.

bj

VNMOUS1

Light fuse, get away.
Nov 22, 2006
Will you tell me what RPM you lauch at and on what tires?
3,500 and M/T 305/35/18 DRs. (Not NEARLY enough!)

That said, here's the email I sent a couple of buddies today because I was the biggest douchebag on earth:

Two hour drive to Byron: $17.00
Admission to track: $25.00
Two and a half hour wait to do ONE run then miss 3rd and get whipped by a Cadillac: Priceless

One and done kids. What a waste.

I just wanted to poke my eyes out with a f'ing stick.

I was gonna go around again but the I'd already waited that long once and the line was EVEN DEEPER, so I made a right at the tech shack....put my tail between my legs...and crawled home.

bj

VNMOUS1

Light fuse, get away.
Nov 22, 2006
Nice times. You plan on going again soon? I want to go this weekend and get some decent runs in before the snow. I prefer Byron though. Maybe this sat/sun?

I'm done with Byron for the season. The track was in really good shape, hooking like a mother. BUT...to drive 2 hours and wait 2.5 before my first run??
Makes NO sense. Honestly, I would have been another 2 hours to get a 2nd run. Then another 2 coming home. Damn!!! An 8+ hour day and the expense, for 2 runs.

That said, I love the "mental" advantage of a downhill track and there is NO question in my mind that their prep is superior.

If we all got a group together and had some sort of priority, then cool. But as a "one off", it makes no sense.

And I agree with you, I prefer it for all those reasons. All GLD needs to do is prep better and more frequently.

bj

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info