Age limit on gun ownership? Could use some advice....

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
This is going to be a little bit of a personal story and putting a little of my Dad's business out there, but hoping some people might have some insight on my situation....

Growing up we weren't allowed to play with guns in our house. It took me months of pleading to get the gun to play Duck Hunt on Nintendo for crying out loud.

I always thought this was weird since my Dad was a Vietnam Vet that he wouldn't let us even have toy guns. Well when we got older we found out it was more of my Mom didn't want them in the house.

So I've been on my own for awhile now and had a gun for just as long now, and now my Dad wants to start shooting as well. He applied for and got his FOID card, and now I just have to find the time to take him to the range. I'm hoping to go over safety and everything with him again since he hasn't shot since he returned from the military.

He's now retired and seems to be the neighborhood nosey busy body, and I don't know if he thinks the neighborhood is going downhill but he keeps asking me to buy my Beretta 92FS. He's been getting really persistent with it now that the election is almost here and he's far from a Hillary fan. :rofl:

I see him on the weekends still and he still seems like the same guy, but does things a little slower. My Mom however seems to think that he's forgetting more and more stuff, and she's not sure him getting a gun is a great idea for some reason.

He's going to be 70 this Christmas, and I'm not sure how to handle this with him. Realistically he could just go to a gun store, plop down his FOID, buy something and have it in a few days. It's just odd to me that he all of a sudden wants one and is talking about taking the conceal carry class as well?

I'm thinking the first thing should be just to get him to the range and see if he even likes shooting a 92FS or if there's something that's more comfortable for him?

Is there an age you guys think it's time to not let them have the firearms or as long as they seem to have all their thought processes they're good to go?

blueoval4life

Donating Member
Reaction score
This is going to be a little bit of a personal story and putting a little of my Dad's business out there, but hoping some people might have some insight on my situation....

Growing up we weren't allowed to play with guns in our house. It took me months of pleading to get the gun to play Duck Hunt on Nintendo for crying out loud.

I always thought this was weird since my Dad was a Vietnam Vet that he wouldn't let us even have toy guns. Well when we got older we found out it was more of my Mom didn't want them in the house.

So I've been on my own for awhile now and had a gun for just as long now, and now my Dad wants to start shooting as well. He applied for and got his FOID card, and now I just have to find the time to take him to the range. I'm hoping to go over safety and everything with him again since he hasn't shot since he returned from the military.

He's now retired and seems to be the neighborhood nosey busy body, and I don't know if he thinks the neighborhood is going downhill but he keeps asking me to buy my Beretta 92FS. He's been getting really persistent with it now that the election is almost here and he's far from a Hillary fan. :rofl:

I see him on the weekends still and he still seems like the same guy, but does things a little slower. My Mom however seems to think that he's forgetting more and more stuff, and she's not sure him getting a gun is a great idea for some reason.

He's going to be 70 this Christmas, and I'm not sure how to handle this with him. Realistically he could just go to a gun store, plop down his FOID, buy something and have it in a few days. It's just odd to me that he all of a sudden wants one and is talking about taking the conceal carry class as well?

I'm thinking the first thing should be just to get him to the range and see if he even likes shooting a 92FS or if there's something that's more comfortable for him?

Is there an age you guys think it's time to not let them have the firearms or as long as they seem to have all their thought processes they're good to go?
I used to take my dad to range frequently. He was 72 y/o and was a pretty good shot. He also had no interest in owning a gun until his later years. Very similar story he was ex-military and had old rifles but we never talked about guns really until I picked up the interest. IMHO if they still have there senses then why not?

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
Agreed. As long as you think your old man still possesses good/reasonable judgement and doesn't seem to be suffering from any kind of mental deterioration, I don't see any issue.

If you have issues with selling him your gun, just tell him you want to keep your Baretta, and you'll go to the gun store with him to help him pick out whatever he wants. Simple as that.

I would make sure that I was well announced, and told him I was coming over though. Don't want to surprise him at the house if he's carrying around the house. A retired Chicago cop killed his son a few years back because he came in the back door late at night.

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
Agreed. As long as you think your old man still possesses good/reasonable judgement and doesn't seem to be suffering from any kind of mental deterioration, I don't see any issue.
I think this is partly why my Mom is concerned about him having one.... He used to just keep to himself when he was working, now that he's retired he's a busy body... Trying to find out who didn't get permits for garage sales and shit. :bowrofl:

Last week he called on a guy down the street for having multiple garage sales (literally every weekend for 4+ months) when the village only allows two per year, came over yelling at him calling him the neighborhood rat, blah, blah, blah...

I look at it as he's been in the neighborhood for 40+ years now and has always done everything by the book so it aggravates him when this guy kept doing this crap. My Mom thinks he's trying to be the neighborhood code enforcer. :dunno:

blck10th

Reaction score
There was like 6 people in my cc class over the age of 60. They all did pretty well even one lady who's husband wanted her to go. She was dead scared of a p22. By the end she passed and shot pretty well.

If he's of sound mind I don't see why not.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Lots of older people in my cc class all of them passed a couple of them could hardly walk, if your of sound mind and can handle a gun im all for it

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
I just talked to him today and said lets go to the range and see if he even likes how the Beretta shoots. If not, we can find something else for him that fits him better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom