• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Advice on noise 5 speed manual

Egreen99

Addict
May 26, 2004
so I picked up a DD 07 Civic as a winter beater car. In mostly high gears 4th and 5th there is this loud noise when you give it gas "under acceleration". I was wondering if it's the trans, clutch?

Clutch does not pop out of gear or slip any all. however it's original at 149k

can it be wheel bearing or axles etc.. going to try and get a vid clip.

thanks..

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
It sounds to me like worn bearings inside the transmission and are screaming at you when the car is under load at high speeds. I would change the fluid out with whatever Honda recommends for that car at the least, but I'd like to hear a video to be sure. I've owned a few high mileage Honda's and they would whine a bit at higher speeds in higher gears, but it wasn't ever "loud" you could easily hear though.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Sounds like a fan, fluttering noise. Going to see if I can find a quiet area and capture a quick vid. Going to try amsoil for sure in the trans and see if it does anything. going to order a few bottles online

No no no. Don't get that garbage. Just get what Honda recommends, it's just a civic, you'll be throwing your money away.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
If it's hard to put in the synchros are probably going. When mine blew up I took out the shaft. About $3K at the dealership with a brand new clutch. If yours is in good shape I'd pass (mine was at 180K or so and fine, just did it because of the labor.) It was a good ride, getting out of the snow around here took its toll however.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info