Advice on noise 5 speed manual

Egreen99

Reaction score
so I picked up a DD 07 Civic as a winter beater car. In mostly high gears 4th and 5th there is this loud noise when you give it gas "under acceleration". I was wondering if it's the trans, clutch?

Clutch does not pop out of gear or slip any all. however it's original at 149k

can it be wheel bearing or axles etc.. going to try and get a vid clip.

thanks..

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Gonna have to give us more than "loud noise"...

bang? grinding? humming? increase in intensity with speed?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like worn bearings inside the transmission and are screaming at you when the car is under load at high speeds. I would change the fluid out with whatever Honda recommends for that car at the least, but I'd like to hear a video to be sure. I've owned a few high mileage Honda's and they would whine a bit at higher speeds in higher gears, but it wasn't ever "loud" you could easily hear though.

Egreen99

Reaction score
Sounds like a fan, fluttering noise. Going to see if I can find a quiet area and capture a quick vid. Going to try amsoil for sure in the trans and see if it does anything. going to order a few bottles online

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a fan, fluttering noise. Going to see if I can find a quiet area and capture a quick vid. Going to try amsoil for sure in the trans and see if it does anything. going to order a few bottles online
No no no. Don't get that garbage. Just get what Honda recommends, it's just a civic, you'll be throwing your money away.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
If it's hard to put in the synchros are probably going. When mine blew up I took out the shaft. About $3K at the dealership with a brand new clutch. If yours is in good shape I'd pass (mine was at 180K or so and fine, just did it because of the labor.) It was a good ride, getting out of the snow around here took its toll however.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom