đź“° Auto News Adaptive Headlights Will Finally Come to the US

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

In case you didn't know, headlight technology has been steadily advancing for quite some time. If you've only noticed headlamps getting brighter, well, you probably live in the United States, where most advanced automotive lighting technology has been restricted due to outdated legislation. Elsewhere in the world, headlights can do things like dim around oncoming traffic while painting a high-beam level of lighting in your lane, or turn down the brightness on some blinding reflective signage.

These sorts of headlights aren't currently allowed in the U.S., but now the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (H.R.3684) that's set to become law says it's time to change that. Within 24 months, it's likely you'll be wowed by a tsunami of advanced lighting technology on new vehicles.

The text that enables this change is relatively straightforward. Under section 24212 of the bill, which is appropriately titled "HEADLAMPS," it's stated that "Not later than 2 years after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall issue a final rule amending Standard 108"—that's the transportation regulation pertaining to headlight design. The bill states that this section of the code should be amended "to allow for the use on vehicles of adaptive driving beam headlamp systems." In a nutshell, once H.R.3684 gets passed, the transportation secretary has two years to make adaptive headlights a thing in the United States. It could happen sooner, but that's the maximum timeline.

1637011436894.png

If you're curious how lawmakers saw fit to describe adaptive headlamps, they referred to the Society of Automotive Engineers for that. The group's International Standard J3069 defines what they are rather clearly. If you want to spend $85, you can read the international standard in all of its excruciating detail. I've heard it's a real page-turner.

So, our dark national nightmare is almost over. If you've ever complained about ultra-bright high beams, well, higher trim versions of new cars are gonna start being your new favorites. Since many cars sold outside the United States already have this technology, it's more than likely that a number of models will be equipped with these systems in short order.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Can also project things as well.

Just goes to show how law makers really need to sit down and get with the times.

Law makers need to have a maximum term limit and new forward thinking law makers need to be put in place that understand technology, how it can help, and the changing times.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Of course you don’t believe me…
View attachment 105361
As mentioned like 10 times in this thread that is not the same thing, not even close

my 2005 bmw had the same thing your heap VW had.

The system may also be referred to as “Advanced Front Lighting System.” Service. On vehicles equipped with AFS, swivel-mounted lamps automatically improve road illumination when cornering or driving around curves. Movement of the headlights is based off of steering angle and vehicle speed input.Mar 29, 2019

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
My Focus RS has adaptive front head lights. However, that's not what's being talked about here.

My RS will angle the front headlamps in the direction of the turn, angle varies by speed of car and steering wheel input angle. It also has extra corner bulbs to illuminate 90° to the side at very low speeds, and those come on with the turn signals.

But what's being discussed here is a Smart headlight system that uses camera's and other sensors to omit portions of the pattern to account for oncoming cars. So it might have full high beams as you approach a hill, but as soon as an on-coming car crests the hill, the system will split the headlights so that it illuminates to the left and right of the on-coming car, without turning off the high beams.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Of course you don’t believe me…
View attachment 105361

This law isn’t talking about AFS old technology. This is in reference to things like Audis laser lights and matrix LED lighting that can do wild things.

The turning 15 degrees with the road is on a million cars and not remotely impressive tech to what our antiquated laws have been holding back.

Good article here from a year or so ago:

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
As mentioned like 10 times in this thread that is not the same thing, not even close

my 2005 bmw had the same thing your heap VW had.

The system may also be referred to as “Advanced Front Lighting System.” Service. On vehicles equipped with AFS, swivel-mounted lamps automatically improve road illumination when cornering or driving around curves. Movement of the headlights is based off of steering angle and vehicle speed input.Mar 29, 2019
Of course you are wrong, yet again. Jesus dude
This law isn’t talking about AFS old technology. This is in reference to things like Audis laser lights and matrix LED lighting that can do wild things.

The turning 15 degrees with the road is on a million cars and not remotely impressive tech to what our antiquated laws have been holding back.

Good article here from a year or so ago:

giphy.gif

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
So, here is a video of the Adaptive system found on mid 201x BMW's. Its clearly NOT just "headlight moves with steering wheel"

The new LED matrix array stuff is even more capable of altering the light pattern.

My buddy has an F80 M3 and he updated the firmware for his lighting to euro spec and it works like that. Once and a while he borrows my truck and leaves me the M, and I was blown away watching it in action at night.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info