Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
woah

Ad Astra is also the kind of anomaly in 2019 cinema that people keep asking for: it’s a film for adults. Yes, the science-fiction genre allows for Gray to work in some action sequences that run counter to Roy’s brooding, moody interior. (There’s no detail you need aside from knowing that Roy has to, at various points in the film, face off against Moon pirates and bloodthirsty monkeys, and it all somehow makes perfect sense.) But Ad Astra is the kind of mid-budget (it apparently only cost in the neighborhood of $80 million, which is incredible to consider with the effects and practical work being so believable) film that audiences want in between whatever gargantuan blockbusters clutter the multiplexes. That it’s being released by Disney — through 20th Century Fox, which greenlit the film before they were bought up — is almost as shocking as the film itself is.

Ad Astra pays off on the expansive promise of James Gray’s The Lost City of Z. It’s an intelligent, thrilling epic of the soul that offers one of the great lead performances of the year, from an actor who’s managed to be underrated even as he’s never lost his star power. From its tense, dizzying opening sequence to its profound and emotionally taxing finale, Ad Astra is an absorbing character study masquerading as a sci-fi adventure. It’s one of the best films of 2019.

/Film Rating: 9 out of 10

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Day off work. Heading out to see it in imax in a few hours.

giphy.gif

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So, for those going to see it expecting a SciFi Epic, you aren't getting that. Thats not what the movie is about. It is a thinker movie, and moves at a slower pace.

If I go into any detail about what the movie is really about, it kind of ruins it. So all I can say is that the movie is character study of people and their motivations and failings.

But without spoilers, there are a few actors in here I was glad to see on the screen, as I think they are under-rated. Donald Sutherland makes an appearance for the first 1/4 of the movie and steals every scene he's in. But Greg Bryk, and Ruth Negga show up mid film for a bit.

This is a movie that the Critics will rave about, and the audience is going to not respond with a ton of enthusiasm.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Not a spoiler, I am sad that there are people this stupid in life.

Comes from an io9 article about Ad Astra' and what it gets wrong about space travel.

Reality: One of the biggest misconceptions in astronomy is that people think the Hubble Space Telescope actually goes to the places it photographs. It doesn’t—it just orbits the Earth, only about 1,200 miles up, and images things that are extremely far away. We put it in space to get it above the Earth’s atmosphere. I can see how this misconception arises, since we do send probes to the planets in the solar system. But traveling through the solar system doesn’t get you any closer to the vast majority of the things Hubble is photographing, considering the light-year distances involved. That would be like crossing the room to get closer to the Moon.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Saw it. Had a hard time finishing it. This is one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen.

Throw away the physics and realities of space travel and life in space. Throw away common sense. Put in a director's view of human emotion which seems to be mostly pain and father issues. One stupid scene and dialogue after another.

1. Moon rover chase with moon pirates.
2. Multiple needless, totally improbable and idiotic deaths.
3. "Release me Roy!" (Can't release yourself?) Why leave the station if you only want to die? How does an entire station get out to Neptune? Mars station with giant tunnels and stairways. Why would you build them? Why have the spaceport be above a Mars "lake" and far away from the base? Swimming in a spacesuit. LOL
4. No preparation for a return voyage except being blown into trajectory by a nuclear explosion?

10 times this much crap in the movie. Total waste of 2 hours.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info