• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical AC recharge, empty system

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I'd actually like to do this myself...but it would probably cost less to have it done than to buy the tools for one time use. I replaced my AC compressor (failed) with one from a yard, and replaced the broken line that evacuated my system. Not sure if I'll have to add any oil, but for sure will need to pull a vaccuum on the system before filling.

So I guess what I'm asking is is anyone has the tools I can borrow for a day, or if any sugesstions on where to take it to be filled...and if you think I may requre refilling with compressor oil?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I have everything you need except an oil injection gun but normally I'll just disconnect a line and pour in the oil if i don't get a can of oil and refrigerant that I can use on first fill of a vacuumed system.

I have all the gauges and vacuum pump, adapters and fittings, all the way from R12 to R22 and 134a

I don't have anything for the newer ammonia shitt

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
If you haven't swapped out the receiver drier I would still probably suggest it especially if your compressor went into black death
I think my compressor may actually be OK, but swapped it out just in case. The drive pulley (no clutch) actually took a shit. I replaced it with one from a yard that cut the lines and pinched them shut. So if it does need oil, it's probably not much.

ac.jpg

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I just dumped out what was in the old one...about a shot glass full came out...it looked clean. I did have oil on some items in the area of the compressor, but just enough for a light coating, nothing hit the floor. Which is the oher reason I changed out the compressor in case the seal was bad. I'll check factory specs on the type/qty of oil and get it on order.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Ron Vogel
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list