• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

A/C problem in 03 Cobra

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I really haven't used the A/C much this year, but last weekend when it was hot, I needed to use it. It was barely blowing any cold air.

I figured it was just low on R134a, so I bought a can. Before attempting to fill it, I connected a gauge to test the pressure. That’s when I noticed the compressor was cycling on and off every 10 seconds or so. On the gauge, the pressure would go from about 25 PSI and climb to 55 PSI (red zone on gauge) and then the compressor would shut off. The pressure would drop back down and the compressor would come back on again. It would do this repeatedly. I’m assuming it’s tripping off due to high pressure. The fan comes on as it’s supposed to when the compressor is on, so I don’t think it’s the fan.

Any ideas on what the problem is?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I'm sure. You can clearly hear and see the compressor engage, then the pressure climbs until it hits the danger zone on the gauge, then it turns off. When it turns off, you can hear a "hiss" as the pressure drops back down, then it starts the whole process over again.

I'm sure. You can clearly hear and see the compressor engage, then the pressure climbs until it hits the danger zone on the gauge, then it turns off. When it turns off, you can hear a "hiss" as the pressure drops back down, then it starts the whole process over again.

Sounds like you have some sort of clog. Check orifice tube or expansion valve possible drier

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• nytebyte
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list