A/C cold on passenger side, warm on drivers side

ThirdgenTa

Reaction score
Just what the title says. It's ice cold on the passenger side and somewhat warm on the drivers side. I was told it was the HVAC door actuator. Spent $130 on one yesterday and it didn't fix the problem. Any other ideas?

lastls1

Reaction score
A lot of times its the Temp door actuator. Sometimes there is more than 1. Not sure what actuator you replaced already. Had something like this recently on a vehicle at one of my dealers and it turned out to be the reciever dryer becoming plugged up. Pressures were off etc. Just food for thought.

ThirdgenTa

Reaction score
A lot of times its the Temp door actuator. Sometimes there is more than 1. Not sure what actuator you replaced already. Had something like this recently on a vehicle at one of my dealers and it turned out to be the reciever dryer becoming plugged up. Pressures were off etc. Just food for thought.
Replaced the drivers side. How do you know if it's the dryer? I know last year I had the compressor replaced but didn't replace anything else.

lastls1

Reaction score
Replaced the drivers side. How do you know if it's the dryer? I know last year I had the compressor replaced but didn't replace anything else.
The dealer I talked to had to actually hook it up to a set of gauges. Found that one side had incorrect pressure. I cannot remember if it was the high or low side. But I think that was a more unusual situation. The majority of the time it is the simple actuator thing.

lastls1

Reaction score
Based on your signature I assumed this was for the Regal? After the temp door install did you calibrate the temp door? That was the last step in the process when I looked it up. My guess is that has to be done with a tech II?

ThirdgenTa

Reaction score
Based on your signature I assumed this was for the Regal? After the temp door install did you calibrate the temp door? That was the last step in the process when I looked it up. My guess is that has to be done with a tech II?
Yup for the 2003 regal. I installed it and it didn't fix it so someone said to disconnect the battery. I did that and I stuck my head under the dash while switching the A/C on and off and I can see the knob turn. Is there something else I have to do?
I also took the old one apart and the gears are not cracked or anything so I am assuming it's not bad.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
whenever my old GTP did what your car is doing it was low on refrigerant.

lastls1

Reaction score
Or possible partially plugged evap core? Here is the diagram of the flow and how the system works
But def check the state of charge first. Or have a local shop check it.

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Reaction score
Find somebody that has a gauge manifold and hook it up instead of guessing? Harbor freight has them for $60. If you chose to refill, use a UV dye loaded can. Unless you're just not interested in fixing it right.

nos4blood70

Reaction score
When my Bonne did this, it too was low on refrigerant. It's a known symptom. Check the charge first before tearing apart the dash.

ThirdgenTa

Reaction score
I did put some freon in but I don't have a gauge anymore. The can I bought has these things that turn blue when it's cold. Obviously the passenger side is already blue. I am going to find someone with a gauge to check the pressure because I don't want to overfill it.
How many blend doors are on our cars? I though there was only 2, but my friend said there at least 4.

ThirdgenTa

Reaction score
Anyone know how many blend doors there are? Anyone? Don't know if I should return this $130 part

TommyGloves

Donating Member
Reaction score
You can try to look up repair/diagrams info here:
EBSCOhost Login

Login as: tech, tech

Scroll down and find "Auto Repair Reference Center Beta"

HTH

ThirdgenTa

Reaction score
Ok so now that it is warm I decided to use my heat. Hot on passenger side, not hot at all on drivers side. What's my next step?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
sounds like you either have an airflow restriction or a temp blend door stuck in the middle. getting to the temp door actuator doesn't require dash removal. i find the actuator, then watch it as you move the temp selector on the HVAC control panel to see if it moves.
then unplug and remove the actuator, then manually move the door to see if the heat gets any better.

ThirdgenTa

Reaction score
When I looked at it the last time I replaced the drivers side with a new one and it did not fix the problem. Then I put the old one back in and I can see it move when I changed the temperature. I started to try and get at the passenger side one but I just didn't have the right tools with me at the time. Should I try and pull the passenger side one out?

ThirdgenTa

Reaction score
ok so the vent to the right of the steering wheel blows pretty hard when the fan is turned up, but it won't blow warm. The one to the left of the steering wheel doesn't blow hard at all. Both passenger vents don't blow hard either, but the air that comes out is hot.

I looked at both acuators and they both turn when I turn the heat up and down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom