'99 L37 Northstar V8, 4T80 trans?

torquelover

Reaction score
Looked at a '99 Cadillac DeVille Concours the other day, low miles for the year. Drove/shifted fine, but I did see (it was dark) the bottom of the engine bay had a light coating of oil. If it weren't for this, I might have bought the car on the spot. This car was other wise in nice shape, surely elderly driven, and looked to have been parked inside all winter or driven to FL or AZ for winters. I hear horror stories about these engines, not so much the trans. What do you guys know about this car, specifically the L37 Northstar and 4T80 trans?

N20GT

Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
Reaction score
My dad had a 2000 DHS he bought new. What a piece of shit. They rebuilt the engine under warranty and it still burned A LOT of oil. There's a reason they cost $45k new and were worth 8k five years later

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
the northstar... can go fuck itself

the 4t80e... i would make babies with

some asshole should work on a 3800 swap for those damn caddy's

torquelover

Reaction score
My dad had a 2000 DHS he bought new. What a piece of shit. They rebuilt the engine under warranty and it still burned A LOT of oil. There's a reason they cost $45k new and were worth 8k five years later
Yeah, that's what I've been hearing.

the northstar... can go fuck itself

the 4t80e... i would make babies with

some asshole should work on a 3800 swap for those damn caddy's
Top mounts look the same. Wiring would be a nightmare I'm thinking.

Looks like most of these die by 120k.

IceCreamAssassin

FBMM
Donating Member
Reaction score
They use/leak oil like crazy... Start the car up, let it warm up.. Then back it up a couple feet and observe the puddle of oil on the ground.

Stink Star Productions

Don’t Drive Angry!
Reaction score
Engine case halves leak like a sieve. Good thing they take like 8qts of oil because by the time you need an oil change it's down to 4qts in the pan.

On the flip side, if they didn't have the oil consumption/leak problem they are actually pretty slick motors. Later versions had over 300hp and can run with no coolant by switching to a bank to bank 4 cyl mode to limit heat buildup. Plus they are pretty smooth

32vMonte

Car is broke
Reaction score
Hmm mine hasn't leaked a drop of anything in 3 years. No gaskets in the lower end all rtv.

It sucks that they leaked like they did and the head gasket issues. Loves high rpm beatings and pulls pretty well for a 300bhp motor.

I also head studded mine, it does however consume a little oil still but that isn't a issue to me. My ls1 needs a quart every two weeks, doesn't burn it it just blows it all into the breather can haha.

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
i love that monte...jus needs moar turdyeighthundred :mamoru:

if gm woulda made a turbo 3800/80e car line they woulda made a killing regardless of the competing model lines

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom