• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

98 cobra intake cams installed and engine mock up pics

huh?!

Jan 18, 2012
Installed the intake cams last night. Did not degree them yet but i will once i collect the proper tools. Also threw on the newly powder coated pieces to see how it would look.

d182c282-cde5-1a18.jpg

d182c282-ce15-59d0.jpg

d182c282-ce35-490c.jpg

d182c282-ce8b-a603.jpg

huh?!

Jan 18, 2012
Are you Black&Gifted on MM.net?

Oh the irony since you portrayed a white arm. LOL

chose black&gifted as a reference to my...uh..car. Figured the screen name here is more fitting given I'm in the learning process here but am told I give a lot of people the "huh?!" look at work when they say something stupid. They say its more politically correct than punching them in the balls.

massacre

Regular
May 25, 2011
Once you start beautifying your engine, it starts a whole thing:
Now I'm looking at those exhaust manifolds and saying "gotta get those coated" lol.
Sometimes when you beautify one part of the engine it makes other parts look worse.

And yes, my exhaust manifolds are coated for this exact reason LMAO.

huh?!

Jan 18, 2012
You guys have eagle eyes!!!

Do our marauders have oil coolers from the factory? After you mentioned it, zack, I did a few quick searches and doesn't appear so. And further, it looks like cobra owners generally take them off. Whats the purpose of it? My searches unfortunately didn't turn up a consistent answer.

I'm gonna run the cobra manifolds. I got a SS bassani catted x from an 03 cobra for a steal (which will bolt right up to the cobra manifolds) and gonna bolt them up to the mufflers at the moment. My car already has the rear cat delete into 2.5 inch pipes into a custom x pipe to the mufflers. My thought is simply take off the existing stock front cats and x pipe and sell as 1 piece to a marauder owner that effectively wants a bolt on rear cat delete and x pipe for their car.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
You guys have eagle eyes!!!

Do our marauders have oil coolers from the factory? After you mentioned it, zack, I did a few quick searches and doesn't appear so. And further, it looks like cobra owners generally take them off. Whats the purpose of it? My searches unfortunately didn't turn up a consistent answer.

I'm gonna run the cobra manifolds. I got a SS bassani catted x from an 03 cobra for a steal (which will bolt right up to the cobra manifolds) and gonna bolt them up to the mufflers at the moment. My car already has the rear cat delete into 2.5 inch pipes into a custom x pipe to the mufflers. My thought is simply take off the existing stock front cats and x pipe and sell as 1 piece to a marauder owner that effectively wants a bolt on rear cat delete and x pipe for their car.

The oil cooler does nothing but take up space.

If you use the Cobra X, you will need to weld extensions in.

huh?!

Jan 18, 2012
Haven't timed the cams yet but did work on the engine. Installed the marauder specific oil pickup tube (the pickup tube actually says "marauder" on it and is part number 3w3z-6622-aa in case anyone is wondering) and torqued it down to spec (89 inch-lbs for the 2 bolts that attach to the oil pump and 18 ft-lbs for the one bolt attached to the windage tray).

aee605f1-d742-c64a.jpg

aee605f1-d755-6a9b.jpg

aee605f1-d771-26d4.jpg

Also, because of my obsessive behavior, I had to check to see if the rods were actually manley...Rods say "SVT 2r3v-6200-aa, Manley 4401a"...with arp bolts.

aee605f1-d78f-5aaa.jpg

aee605f1-d7ac-9242.jpg

huh?!

Jan 18, 2012
Yusuf, please tell me that you used some loctite on the pickup tube bolts.

Just ask Racer X about what can happen if you don't.

BTW good to see you posting.

Thanks brother. Took a bit to snap out of it but when you have support, a loving family and realize/appreciate the importance of simple things (and not get caught up in the bullshit), it does amazing things!

No loctite, just torqued them down to spec. I haven't buttoned up the oil pan yet so i can flip the engine around again and do it. I remember Racer X's problem and actually corresponded with him on the torque specs.

Ran into another "snag"....I was going over the cobra oil pan that i pulled off and found some small metal shavings in the bottom. Not many or much and they were tiny, but enough to make me yell WTF!

Now I have concerns of whether this engine is actually going to work properly. May take it to my shop (PSI Motorsports in Webster/Kemah, Tx) to have them break it down/inspect it. Last thing I want to do is drop this thing in and it not work properly.

One step forward...two steps back!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info