'96 Blazer Heater Core Replacement

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Donating Member
Reaction score
I am going to be doing this within the next week so I can have heat in my winter beater this year. Has anyone ever done this and have any tips? From what I am reading the whole dash needs to come out to replace a $40 heater core F.M.L. I guess the heater cores going was a common problem because of that Dexcool garbage. Would it be wise to do a full coolant system flush before swapping out the clogged unit?

LUNATIK LT1

Reaction score
How many miles on it? I did my old s10 years ago before I blew it up, wasn't all that bad. As far as tips, just take your time and don't get frustrated.

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Donating Member
Reaction score
Would it be wise to do a full coolant system flush before swapping out the clogged unit? I do not want anything else cloggin up the heater core.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
yup, the whole dash comes down! it sucks. it really does.

G_T_P

Reaction score
Yup had to pull mine out to do it. Was a big pain In the ass to do!

HILROD

Reaction score
The ones up to '97 are harder. '98 up are easier. The later ones only have like 6 or 8 bolts holding it, and all the wiring unplugs easily. At least after the column is dropped down. After the bolts are out it pivots down on these pins near the lower dash at the door openings and unplugs. Bolts are on the two lower sides, up near the windshield one under in the middle, and near the column.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom