EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
ABC Radio Returns Oldies to Chicago Radio

NEW FORMAT - "94.7 CHICAGO'S TRUE OLDIES CHANNEL" -

BRINGS BACK BEST OF THE 50'S, 60'S AND 70'S MUSIC WITH

WIDE PLAYLIST AND CONTEMPORARY PERSONALITIES

ABC Radio is returning Oldies to Chicago Radio! On Monday, September 26th at 12 noon, CST, 94.7 (WZZN-FM) is switching formats to Oldies and the station will be known as "94.7 Chicago's True Oldies Channel." This announcement was made by Jim Pastor, President and General Manager, WZZN-FM. With a format long absent from Chicago radio, 94.7 True Oldies will give listeners across generations the opportunity to renew or begin their love affair with the best Oldies music.

94.7 Chicago's True Oldies Channel will combine top local and national programming with contemporary personalities and a playlist with access to over thousands of titles. It will feature the biggest hits of the 50's, 60's and 70's from artists like Elvis, The Beach Boys, The Righteous Brothers and Motown greats.

"What will separate 'True Oldies' from the traditional oldies format is its deep playlist and current sound," said Mr. Pastor. "A typical oldies station will play the same 200 songs over and over again. At 94.7 True Oldies you'll never know what you'll be hearing next."

94.7 Chicago's True Oldies' schedule will carry local programming with music, as well as news, weather, traffic and sports during the morning (5-10 a.m.) and afternoon drive (3-7 p.m.), in addition to a Saturday night Oldies party show. ABC Radio Networks' "Scott Shannon's True Oldies Channel" will fill out the balance of the schedule.

"Scott Shannon's True Oldies Channel" is the brainchild of Scott Shannon, an award-winning radio veteran who has earned industry honors for his work on-air and as a programmer. Shannon, a member of the National Association of Broadcasters' Hall of Fame, is a six-time Air Personality of the Year and five-time Program Director of the Year as named by Billboard Magazine.

The station will launch with "Scott Shannon's True Oldies Channel" on a 24/7 basis, with plans to introduce local morning and afternoon shows by year-end.

dsk727

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Minneapolis MN
Originally posted by Ron Vogel+Sep 26 2005, 02:16 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-dsk727
@Sep 26 2005, 02:09 PM
Q101 is better anyway... minus Mancow! LOL :lol: but I lilked having two rock/alternative stations to choose from!
[snapback]98946[/snapback]​
If you can recieve it out by you, WONC 89.1 is pretty good (North Central college).
[snapback]98948[/snapback]​
[/b]
Oops yeah I forgot about that station!! :D I listen to that while I am around my area, once I get to work (Bedford Park) it cuts out :(

I

imported_GraFFix

Mancow is the ONLY thing Q101 has going for it... half of those old alternative songs suck monkey balls and their new shuffle format sucks IMO. Sometimes they have good music but half the time im left going WTF!?!?

So were left without a rock station in chicago and my CD player is broke in the car thanks to Jeffs supercharger crushing my 12 disk changer in my trunk...Just great! lol

I guess I could always listen to the Van Halen station...Umm I mean the Loop.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by dsk727+Sep 26 2005, 02:41 PM-->
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Sep 26 2005, 02:16 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-dsk727
@Sep 26 2005, 02:09 PM
Q101 is better anyway... minus Mancow! LOL :lol: but I lilked having two rock/alternative stations to choose from!
[snapback]98946[/snapback]​

If you can recieve it out by you, WONC 89.1 is pretty good (North Central college).
[snapback]98948[/snapback]​
Oops yeah I forgot about that station!! :D I listen to that while I am around my area, once I get to work (Bedford Park) it cuts out :(
[snapback]98955[/snapback]​
[/b]
Yeah, it's usually pretty good. It's "DJ" dependant. Some times they play all punk/ska/pop, but most of the time it's a decent mix. They used to have an awesome DJ that sounded like he was drunk...that guy rocked.

It seems Chicago FM radio comes and goes. The only station with an even keel is XRT, but they tend to play the same old alt fluff over and over...

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by GraFFix@Sep 26 2005, 03:12 PM
Mancow is the ONLY thing Q101 has going for it... half of those old alternative songs suck monkey balls and their new shuffle format sucks IMO. Sometimes they have good music but half the time im left going WTF!?!?

So were left without a rock station in chicago and my CD player is broke in the car thanks to Jeffs supercharger crushing my 12 disk changer in my trunk...Just great! lol

I guess I could always listen to the Van Halen station...Umm I mean the Loop.
[snapback]98960[/snapback]​
thats just nut, i went to lunch at 11;45, came back to oldies, just figured the boss changed my channel, nope I hear 94.7 oldies(it took awhile for it to sink in :angry: ), nooone changed anything except the stations format. :blink:

XM, Joe buddy.. :D

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I was so pissed when i heard oldies instead of midday metallica. I was like WTF is this horse ****, and i kept pressing the preset button like it was magicaly going to play rock music again. I listened to that station all day at work, and now it is gone :(

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
While it sucks that we have no true Chicago rock station anymore (Hopefully Q101 will take it's place now), it was probably a good move that they went to the oldies format anyways, because..

1) There were no oldies format on the FM dial since 104.3FM went to JackMeOff FM. So this means good ratings, which means advertising $$$...

2) 94.7TheZone was still getting pretty crappy ratings even with their active rock format...

But man, I gotta say. Can anyone count how many times 94.7 has flipped formats in the past 15 years (I can think of the old Z-95, 70's station, country, active rock, talk)? Sheesh, I think they've pretty much covered every friggin format that radio could offer....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info