• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

92-99 H Body front frame-mounted lower c/a bushings

SSEiMan01

Official Top Gear Addict
Mar 25, 2014
DeKalb IL
Hey guys, been a while, over the last few weeks we've been tearing down the suspension on my 98 Olds 88 Royale LS, bascially replacing anything it may possibly need. I'm wishing now however that I had left these bushings alone.

Has anybody replaced the frame mounted front bushings for the front lower control arms on a 92-99 H body? Tried the K-M tool for it that GM calls for to press them out, but these things are seized in there. Also working in tight quarters in a storage unit, so no access to much for power tools, and only mapp gas for heat. I'm almost about to pull what's good off of it and scrap the shell, at a low 215k miles. Lol

Thanks in advance

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
On the 1st gen w-bodies arms you can buy a rear poly set from a grand national and press them into the arms. I did this years ago and just burnt out the old rubber and pressed the new ones in a work. Maybe take the time to burn out the rubber and then measure for new bushings. It's been a while but I bet you can spec order them from energy suspensions by widtch, outer diameter, and inner diameter.

SSEiMan01

Official Top Gear Addict
Mar 25, 2014
DeKalb IL
I'll try to upload a picture, the older H/C bodies are the only ones that used this style bushing according to my parts catalog at work, these are bushings in a large metal case, with an inner metal sleeve for the bolt to go through, the bushing itself fits into a bracket that is welded to the subframe. All info I see shows them pressing out.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Soo the bushing is on the cradle and not the arm? Weird. never seen that. I'd burn out the rubber, then take a sawzall blade and stick it inside the metal barrel and cut a slice out of it. Should release the pressure enough to get the bushing out.

SSEiMan01

Official Top Gear Addict
Mar 25, 2014
DeKalb IL
i guess anything is worth a shot at this point. With how much I have spent in parts I could have bought another car, so it doesn't really make sense to dump this and get something else at this point. I'm still recovering from some dental work, but hopefully I'll have an update on this soon, I appreciate the input!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• S
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list