🔧 BUILD 89 Notch Lets Split a SBF Build

Splyt Blok

Oct 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Real Name
Pat
Hola El sloppos,
Checking in with my twin turbo OEM small block ford build. (hold your boos!) Coming from building a SFWD Mazda that was in the process of building to be an 8 second moms wagon into a 89LX Coupe. posted some deets in the mazda HERE in my intro thread.
Owned an 89 vert in the past and foxes have just always been my favorite car ?‍♂️ . Learned a shit ton from the sloppy following that applied to the mazda on its build and still have a shit ton of sloppy recommended parts swapping over into the mustang.

Anyways, on with the tom foolery. Skip to my "Master plans" if you don't car about the way it sits at the moment :cool:
My goal is to make it out to rocky Mt. race week with the car in the next two years alongside my cousin and co-owner of our business that is building a LS 6.0 Swapped Nissan 240sx

Car
Florida Car
1989 Mustang Coupe SSP
Just picked it up a few weeks ago and the pr. owner showed me the transport receipt from July when he had rolled it off the transport from FL. It shows, thing is super clean! A dime to have here up in MA.

Engine
(there was no paperwork, going based off what pr. owner relayed. I bought this car for the chassis basically, running and driving was a plus)
331 Scat Stroker kit in an OEM SBF block
9:5.1 Pitons
AFR 185 Cylinder heads
Comp Roller Rockers (unsure of springs)
Anderson N41 Cam
Upgraded Radiator
Upgrded Deep Oil pan
usual upgraded fluid dampr pully etc.
BBK Longtubes and unknown axle dumps

ECU/Electronics
EFI Source MS3 GoldBox
normal run of the mil autometer tach on the dash
innovative wideband and gauge
oil temp gauge and oil pressure
stock 160 cluster sti;ll using all stock controls

Chassis/Drivetrain/Suspension
UPK Tubular front with upper and lower CA's
QA1 Front Coils and Caster/Camber plates
Subframe connectors
UPR Rear Upper and lower Arms
Later year C4 trans with B&M 3 speed forward shifter (claims to have a PA rebuild) it does have an upgraded PA pan. Unknown Stall converter
Stock 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears
stock rear drums and axles. Stock front hubs

Power Adder
Zex Wet Dry kit. Plumbed and wired. Claimed to "never had been used" ill take that with a grain of salt lol

MASTER PLANS before 2021 Season Leave everything the way it is, just add some spoolie bois ?

Changes/Winter plans
Yank and refresh
Sloppy machine check, sloppy hones, new rings, crank bearings, main bearing gaskets, yadda yadda
Might get a little fancy and step up to AFR205 heads
Strange 35 spline 5 lug, spool and 4.10 gears
Front Stoptech upgrade to 5 Lug
8.5 10pt cage (made in house)
Jegs Kirky Clone race seat
Self built TQ box supports (made in house)
LS1 Up and forward headers, chop LS flanges off and swap SBF hi port flanges on
Vband inlets aimed into the fenders (made in house)
Mirror Viren Singh Racing 67/62 .81ar turbos
2 in/1 out inercooler or A2W IC with ice box (Made in house)
All charge piping and exhaust will be made in house. (unsure about exhaust routing so far)
Strip the entire car and give it some Por15 Love
Rebuild the trans

I have a massive amount of stuff coming over from the mazda to include, Lowdoller Motorsports sensors (Map sensor, Oil temp/pressure, Coolant temp/pressure, IAT sensor, etc) Also have a ton of material, charge piping, parts and accessories from monkeyfab, Chromoly tubing, Chute mount supplies, gauges etc.

Yes its an OEM bottom end, yes it's going to hatch, yes its going to be glorious. i bought it for the chassis, having fun with the SBF is just a plus. Hope to find a good deal on a dart block or LS in the future when the fireworks of rods happen. If you wanna follow along ill be updating the thread and my youtube channel under Dirty Water Racing

Ill jump on my phone and dump some photos shortly

20200921_162453.jpg
20200921_155737.jpg
20200922_134928.jpg
20200922_153606.jpg
20200923_171435.jpg
20201005_122911.jpg
20201011_165421.jpg
20201012_143039.jpg
20201013_211636.jpg
20201013_212111.jpg
20201017_171025.jpg
20201018_054126.jpg

Splyt Blok

Oct 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Real Name
Pat
Wats going on with that giant red steel box in the back ground?

giphy.gif

I was a heavy equipment/diesel mechanic and auto mechanic for many years. I just recently started on the local fire department. I kept all my tools and equipment. I do some custom and regular work on the side.

Wife and I just moved into a new home and she's given me the entire 2 car garage which I'm converting into a full workshop.
20201011_165258.jpg

Splyt Blok

Oct 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Real Name
Pat
Been slowly making a build worksheet. links, PDFs, etc. Keep circling back to the CoP setup.

At the moment it seems like the best route is going to be the explorer cam sensor, fabricated bracket and cherry bomb sensor with 32-1 wheel on the crank. I already have the sensor from the cam kits i had from the mazda. Then just a matter of power, signal and ground distribution for the coils. Stinger coil harness kit is nice, the dilema now is make my own harness or just grab a PnP harness. I've also seen mixed info about having to run at least a 70a relay or a smaller on both banks.

Or just bite the bullet and grab the Holley Cam sensor plug, trigger wheel, harness and coils. Our pricing on the holley stuff isn't too bad but its still the more expensive option. The sloppy fabricator side of me wants to go budget. Decisions, decisions.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
I was a heavy equipment/diesel mechanic and auto mechanic for many years. I just recently started on the local fire department. I kept all my tools and equipment. I do some custom and regular work on the side.

Wife and I just moved into a new home and she's given me the entire 2 car garage which I'm converting into a full workshop.
View attachment 71129
I don’t think that’s the red box he was referring too?

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Been slowly making a build worksheet. links, PDFs, etc. Keep circling back to the CoP setup.

At the moment it seems like the best route is going to be the explorer cam sensor, fabricated bracket and cherry bomb sensor with 32-1 wheel on the crank. I already have the sensor from the cam kits i had from the mazda. Then just a matter of power, signal and ground distribution for the coils. Stinger coil harness kit is nice, the dilema now is make my own harness or just grab a PnP harness. I've also seen mixed info about having to run at least a 70a relay or a smaller on both banks.

Or just bite the bullet and grab the Holley Cam sensor plug, trigger wheel, harness and coils. Our pricing on the holley stuff isn't too bad but its still the more expensive option. The sloppy fabricator side of me wants to go budget. Decisions, decisions.

I was originally going to do the AEM setup, but eventually went to the Pro-M COP setup, then sold it all to go coyote.

The Pro-M setup looked really nice but I hear good things about the Holley stuff too.

Reactions: Splyt Blok

Splyt Blok

Oct 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Real Name
Pat
I was originally going to do the AEM setup, but eventually went to the Pro-M COP setup, then sold it all to go coyote.

The Pro-M setup looked really nice but I hear good things about the Holley stuff too.

Unless a holley ECU falls into my lap in a poor souls fire sale I am going to stick with the Megasquirt. I also have a 12.3" DD EFI digital dash inbound for the MS.

Been looking into some budget PDMs as well. The person who built the car was ray charles of wiring, I'm am electrical snob now after years of working on de-icer trucks so I'm going to spend a good amount of time cleaning up the wiring.

A few panels from some of the trucks I used to work on lol
20161014_133013.jpg20190712_084435.jpg20180605_223954.jpg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park

which coils will you be running? 70a is overkill unless it’s ign1a on alcohol with high dwell. The factory Holley harness uses one relay and like 20-30a fuse to power the injectors, coils, and 10a fuel pump

if you’re getting a sfi balancer, most can now be ordered with flying magnets or a wheel built in. Keeps it simple and you don’t have to realign your pulleys

Splyt Blok

Oct 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Real Name
Pat
which coils will you be running? 70a is overkill unless it’s ign1a on alcohol with high dwell. The factory Holley harness uses one relay and like 20-30a fuse to power the injectors, coils, and 10a fuel pump

if you’re getting a sfi balancer, most can now be ordered with flying magnets or a wheel built in. Keeps it simple and you don’t have to realign your pulleys

Probably LS truck coils. The engine already has an SFI balancer. So it will be easy enough attaching a trigger wheel. Whatever I do end up chosing.

Reactions: PJx5x

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Lol that's awesome that you're perfectly willing to grenade the engine :ROFLMAO: I had a 331sbf with stock block in my old sn95 and I would never rev it past 6300ish because I was worried about it. Went 11.3 n/a and that's about all it had in it, i wanted to spray it but it certainly would have blown up

daveakre

Oct 27, 2020
Elwood IL
Real Name
Dave
I kinda wonder if the "500hp split block limit" think was a product of the tuning methods and tools of the time. I would like to see Happel tune a SBE 5.0 with his current knowledge and a Dominator setup. We used to think gen 3 LS stuff was only safe to 500whp range or so, now don't BS me combos are kicking out 700+ with a gen 3 SBE. Either way, that is a clean car and I'm looking forward to this build! :)

Splyt Blok

Oct 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Real Name
Pat
I kinda wonder if the "500hp split block limit" think was a product of the tuning methods and tools of the time. I would like to see Happel tune a SBE 5.0 with his current knowledge and a Dominator setup. We used to think gen 3 LS stuff was only safe to 500whp range or so, now don't BS me combos are kicking out 700+ with a gen 3 SBE. Either way, that is a clean car and I'm looking forward to this build! :)

I've seen quite a few OE 302 SBF builds (331s) floating around FB that are +500 hp for years now with no issues running some type of forced induction. Either way, whatever we find out it will be in the name of science. It'd be nice to have Matt put his wizard fingers to work on it but I also have my buddy that tuned the Mazda. We worked out a deal for the rolling chassis on the mazda for cash, dyno time and some tuning. Once the car is complete he's ready to send it.

Reactions: daveakre

Splyt Blok

Oct 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Real Name
Pat
Lil update. My buddy set a new world record in a Mazdasleed 3 at Hail Mary Derby 9.7 @156 off the trailer. Weekend starting off right.

Got one side of the garage cleared out and ready for the slopstang.

Got my barrina Amazon shop lights hung.
10/10 recommend to EVERYONE these shop lights. Got the daylight brightness one and it's night and day difference (zzzzinggg get it)

While watching some Hail Mary Derby
Starting stripping the car down. Got the doors off (I swear that's where all the weight is in a fox JFC they are heavy.

Started stripping the Interior and panels. This thing is so clean! Some surface rust on some areas of the floor pan but that. Is. It!

Started taking apart engine components and accessories. I'm going to leave the MIL in the car for now. I'd like to get a set of turbo headers in to get a rough idea if they will fit before I swap flanges, plug fitment, frame fitment. Etc. Then I'll tank it.

Going to order some DOM tubing this week to get started on the cage. Think I'm going to go grab a cheap engine hoist from HF and mount the tubing bender to it. So I can roll it into a corner when I'm done using it.

Now we wait for some black Friday/holiday deals to start spending all my money ?
VideoCapture_20201105-145532.jpg20201105_105252.jpg20201105_144035.jpg20201105_144026.jpg20201105_150421.jpg20201105_154029.jpg20201105_155517.jpg20201105_165022.jpg20201105_165207.jpg20201106_125337.jpg20201106_131743.jpg20201106_131747.jpg20201106_164719.jpg20201106_152247.jpg

Splyt Blok

Oct 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Real Name
Pat
Big ole update. Stuff is starting to come in. Got all the old intake shit out. Found out it's got some decently ported heads and they are Studded with ARP 1/2" headstuds. So that's another plus.

Holley coil on plug wiring conversion is in.
LS turbo exhaust headers in an mocked up, just need to swap flanges now.
Holley high ram in. Got excited and had to toss it in there to see how it looks.

Bish is looking sessy as hell!

Turbos and piping should be in this week. Want to finish getting the whole turbo kit mocked before I yank the motor and start tearing it down.

20201124_160114.jpg20201129_120249.jpg20201130_131047.jpg20201130_131106.jpg20201130_162452.jpg20201130_162513.jpg20201130_162521.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info