83 Regal.......G Body Shuffle!

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
What starter you going with? Those LT look like you will be having heat soak issues if you use anything but a 5th gen starter
Hmm, thats news to me and thank you for that info. I bought a brand new starter for a 05 Silverado (what the motor came out of). I will definitely run it by the guy doing the build on Tuesday when I stop in again. I would think if he had any concerns he would have said something to me. I pretty much bought all brand new accessories as more of a preventative maintenance.

Edit: Fuck waiting till Tuesday, just sent him a text asking, lol

Reactions: DEEZUZ

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
8idB05P.jpg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Yea they work and fit. But the 1/4 gap between cooks the starter solenoid and heat soak sets in. Happened to me even after a 15 min drive. I installed a 5th gen which moved the solenoid an inch away from header, fixt
Asked him to measue......

The closest part to the headers is the starter motor itself which is about 1/2" at the most. The solenoid has at least 3/4-1" of clearance and it has the factory heat shield in place.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Stopped in Monday to check on progress and point out where wires for digital dash go under the hood. He is pretty confident he will fire her up by Friday. He had started on the wiring, has to finish all that up. Was waiting on a couple of fittings and something with the shifter linkage wasnt lining up coming out the firewall. So he had to take some measurements and order up a custom piece. Had to order new 3" Flowmaster 40's as the previous exhaust was 2.5". Kinda pissed as the Flowmaster's that were on there had less than a 100 miles on them. I didnt want to reduce the new exhaust from 3" to 2.5". So will be posting them for sale if anyone is looking. Also ordered the rear disc conversion kit from Inline Tube, talking with guys on the G Body Forums that kit came highly recommended. Almost 100% bolt on, have to remove rear axels but looks pretty painless. Since I went with slotted/drilled rotors on the rear conversion, I had to order new rotors up front to match....smfh. lol
Also figured I might as well replace the calipers and wheel bearings up front if I'm changing the rotors. I'll eventually upgrade the fronts to dual piston calipers and bigger rotors, but for this summer what I'm doing now will have to do.

Now, my question is. How loud do you think the car will be with just headers and turn downs? Shop is about 12 miles from my house and I would really love to drive it home. But I have no seat belts yet, and wont have a hood on it. I'm afraid the exhaust is going to be too loud and attract attention and get my ass pulled over.

Final question. I eliminated the factory seat belts for 2 reasons. #1 they didnt line up with the new seats, went from a bench to buckets. #2 they were blue and dying them plus trying to customize them to fit would have been too much money and a major PITA
Any of you ever do aftermarket seat belts that possibly bolt to the bolts that hold the seats down? If so what did you use?

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Open headers will be loud... with other items listed that make the car less than police friendly, I wouldnt drive it.

to back this up. I had the exhaust get pulled off my old Camaro By a large speed bump and drove it home with open headers. It was heads/cam at the time and In the 5 mile drive trying to be as gentle as possible on the gas I got pulled over twice and got a warning for loud exhaust and ticket for no front plate by the 2nd officer. Even at idle you could hear it echoing off buildings and shit everywhere.. LOL. I’d not chance it.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
to back this up. I had the exhaust get pulled off my old Camaro By a large speed bump and drove it home with open headers. It was heads/cam at the time and In the 5 mile drive trying to be as gentle as possible on the gas I got pulled over twice and got a warning for loud exhaust and ticket for no front plate by the 2nd officer. Even at idle you could hear it echoing off buildings and shit everywhere.. LOL. I’d not chance it.
I'm already planning on towing it right to the exhaust shop.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
My Bitch is coming home tomorrow, cant fucking wait. One thing I didnt think of and thought about it today when I stopped out at the shop.
Hoping my fucking hood fits with the TBSS intake. Knowing my luck it wont and I'll have to buy a cowl hood and get it painted.
Towing it right to the exhaust shop tomorrow about noon. Then will drive home from there, less than a mile. Will re-wire up the sequential LED tails Saturday and hopefully go out and beat the piss out of it.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
badass....exhaust.....do it once...do it right,dont look back......I shoulda/coulda did this..hope all works out well man..wish u the best
Just doing 3" straight pipe from headers to rear axle, 2- 3" Flowmaster 40's with turn downs dumped at the axle.
Not a fan of tail pipes sticking out the rear bumper or behind the wheels on G Bodies

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

stock-t-bird

THORNTON QUARRY
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2008
Thornton Quarry
Flowmasters 40 are perfect/loud..but gives the "drone " exhaust at cruising speed

just a thought for dad....I guess there is no perfect exhaust..whatever he decides will sound good..its the only Dad you will have,just decide where ya want pipes to exit

let's make your Dad happy is all thats count...its a '60's car in what he wants,all done

Thread Info