• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

6.0L oil consumption

lefty

Addict
Aug 23, 2015
I'd really hate to put this all back together and find out rings are shit too

HOW DARE YOU!!!! LOL, That thought was in the back of my mind. But the exhaust valve seat was caked on the head and the valve which was letting liquid past it with the head off and I think the stem seal went bad from all the crap caked to everything in the exhaust side if that cylinder. I did put that Berryman chemtool stuff in the cylinders with the head off and nothing really seemed to leak through so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I dodged a bullet with that one.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So after pulling the engine apart I found about a half of quart of oil in the intake. The drivers side valve cover and everything under it had a layer of shit all over everything. The passenger side was clean. Pulled driver side head off, had a bent pushrod on Cyl 1, (Piston face has no marks so I think it was just because the lifter locked up) and it had a thick layer of carbon/oil all over in it and in the exhaust port and manifold.
I'm surprised it wasn't throwing a code earlier with all the buildup in it. Ordered new lifters, lifter trays and pushrods for that side, new valves and seals for Cyl 1 and a new valve cover(according to the TSB it had a bad baffle that was letting oil through) and all gaskets to put it back together. Cleaned the intake, head and piston faces and now I'm waiting on the valve stem seals to put it back together. All together I'm into this repair for about $350 in parts and it will be about 14ish hours of time.

Being only one cylinder and probably not severe enough, it wouldn't trigger. There is a certain threshold for misfires within a certain amount of crankshaft rotation to trigger.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info