• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

5.3 SS/GXP

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I always thought they were cool, I had a friend that had one with a decent size lingenfelter cam in it and a ls2 intake and headers with a stall and 3.29 gears, I don't think he really had too many issues with it at that power level, but the still sell for like 8-10k you can get something better for that kind of money I feel

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Get the Bonnie. I kinda wish I would have. The GXP was basically the Bonnie GXP replacement. Always liked [MENTION=109]TommyGloves[/MENTION] Bonnie.

Sure it is a great daily beater but in the end the motor makes more power than that trans can handle, even with the electronics holding it back so you are working on borrowed time. I unloaded mine just before 40k and it was showing signs of trans slippage.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I had a 06 GXP that I bought used with 30,000 miles and traded it in by 80,000 miles. I really liked the car a lot when there was not a issue, but that was not the case most of the time. I had a couple simple mods such as a cat back exhaust, intake, lowered, and a shit kit. I didnt have trans problems till about 75,000 miles and the dealer ended up replacing the trans. I did have a GM extended warranty and let me tell you it paid for itself over and over and over again. Everything failed on this car from trans, steering and suspension, electronics, burned a quart of oil every 1200 miles.

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
I had a surprisingly good experience with mine. I keep hearing that my car must have been some kind of freak with how few issues I had lol. I had an 07 Gp GXP that I bought with 40kish miles on it, always used synthetic oil and honestly never burned a drop during my ownership. I drove it until just shy of 90k and only thing I had replaced was a water pump (done under powertrain warranty) and the front hubs/bearings and balljoints. The Trans slipped once at a stoplight somewhere near the end of my ownership but never actually let go. Last I heard, the guy who bought it from me had 100k and no issues at that time. I loved the heck out of that car, though. Ran 13.8 bone ass stock, got 26mpg at 80mph, extremely comfy to drive and fun (but I'm weird and I enjoy fwd cars lol). Would buy another.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
just get a bonnie gxp...cause 4t80e and more refined N*
Get the Bonnie. I kinda wish I would have. The GXP was basically the Bonnie GXP replacement. Always liked [MENTION=109]TommyGloves[/MENTION] Bonnie.

Dat Northstar doh? Did they ever resolve the HG, Waterpump, and main seal issues amongst others in the later 4.6's? (Going off distant memory on those.)

Also, Hmmmm...

2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP For Sale in Chicago, IL - CarGurus

Not gonna lie, that one gets me to half-mast.

I think they don't look bad at all, but that trans and being wrong wheel drive just kill it for me. What about a goat or a used G8 GT? Faster, better transmission, RWD, nice interiors for a GM.
but the still sell for like 8-10k you can get something better for that kind of money I feel

FWD doesn't concern me as much in a Daily, it's not like I'd be tripling power output then trying for traction, ALA my old Skittle. :rofl:

I'd absolutely, positively, wholly love a G8, but the $6-13k markup on them over the GXP's and SS's would push me into financing territory, which is something I avoid like the plague. (I've bought every car I've ever owned in cash.)

The Holden could work, though I'd prefer fo' doors fo' mo' hoes.

So the TCG final verdict is avoid the LS4 cars at all costs?

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
And thanks for all the input thusfar guys!

i-love-ths-thread.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
if i can figure out a way to graft in the starter boss to the 80e and figure out how to make the block skirt and trans case not touch...

then and only then would i like the ls4...and maybe put it in the 442...

but the buick v6 is easier and more awesome.

the 04/05+ N* was much improved iirc.
beside you can 3800 swap it when it goes.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Dat Northstar doh? Did they ever resolve the HG, Waterpump, and main seal issues amongst others in the later 4.6's? (Going off distant memory on those.)

Also, Hmmmm...

2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP For Sale in Chicago, IL - CarGurus

Not gonna lie, that one gets me to half-mast.

FWD doesn't concern me as much in a Daily, it's not like I'd be tripling power output then trying for traction, ALA my old Skittle. :rofl:

I'd absolutely, positively, wholly love a G8, but the $6-13k markup on them over the GXP's and SS's would push me into financing territory, which is something I avoid like the plague. (I've bought every car I've ever owned in cash.)

The Holden could work, though I'd prefer fo' doors fo' mo' hoes.

So the TCG final verdict is avoid the LS4 cars at all costs?

This GXP that you posted is like 10 min away from my house lol

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Client of mine just had her Bonne GXP pitch a headgasket at 66K. Gear head family, took damn good care of it, 6K quote to repair, so they bought a cherry Trailblazer SS.

N*'s are something to completely steer clear of if you want a reliable DD.

Why don't you just buy a GTP like everyone and their mother does? Trans will hold out better, strong aftermarket, pricing has fallen pretty far down.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info