• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

5.3 SS/GXP

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Ok so I have a sec and here's my two cents. Even with all the headaches I would buy a GP GXP before a Bonneville GXP for many reasons but the largest being that the N* is a timebomb and slow for what it is. Bonny gets like 22 on the hwy and runs upper 14's stock and will cost you JUST as much in repairs as a GP GXP. That being said there are some great things about each, but the GP GXP interior blows away the bonneville (although each of them isn't something to boast about).

I had my GP GXP from 38k to 78K, I was one of the luckier ones because I only had to replace wheel bearings, an ISS (which they are prone to failure) and tires. Had the problem of oil burning which was more prevalent with Mobile 1 for whatever reason. Switched to Pennzoil Ultra and it dropped quite a bit. The trans made me nervous on a daily basis and that's what sucked. Had an overkill TCM and ECM tune on it, and I think that helped the longevity but basically if you buy one of these, factor in a new transmission. TEP built a bunch of new ones for members and usually did the trick.

Other members had disasters with the LS4, and I will agree that this car had some inherent GM faults but what's funny is that is still came with some things that I overly appreciated. The Bilstein suspension, the oversized drilled front and rear vented brakes with PBR 2 piston calipers, forged alcoa rims (06-08), a hell of a great stock exhaust note, and the ability to get 27 mpg on the hwy were all pretty awesome. Seats were amazing but that's a product of the 04 platform.

Would I buy one again? Maybe... but I'd just figure that whatever I bought it for add 3K to the price in potential headaches.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info