4X4 questions/advice

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
I picked up my first 4X4 vehicle ever tonight, and was just curious what kind of things I should check on as far as maintenance on it before winter hits? *Seriously, I have no idea*

Its a 2000 ranger xlt with the 4.0 V-6/5spd auto, Electronic 4x4 'on the fly', and the 'off road' package, *8.8 diffs, factory 2 inch lift, skid plate, tow hooks on the front, fancy alloy rims*

As always 'I got a good deal' on it, and purchased it from a co-worker, so I'm not concerned about something about to fall apart on it as far as the 4X4 goes, but my friend is not mechanically inclined and I'd like to address whatever I can before winter hits.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Full round of fluids and check all ujoints ball joints shocks Tune up then hit every zerk on the truck for starters.

Frank Dukes

Reaction score
changing the fluid in both diffs is always a good idea. most people in the 4x4 world swing :nutz: hard on :amsoil: for that kinda stuff.

Primalzer

Reaction score
Dad how many miles are on it and what year is it, was looking for that exact vehicle to trade the PT in on for the coming winter...I know you are a man that likes to flip his vehicles...;)

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
It does actually sound like an interesting vehicle. Throw up some pics.

EmersonHart13

John
Donating Member
Reaction score
Dad how many miles are on it and what year is it, was looking for that exact vehicle to trade the PT in on for the coming winter...I know you are a man that likes to flip his vehicles...;)
Wow, there is something you aren't telling us! :pedobear:

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
Donating Member
Reaction score
definitely change F/R diff and transfer case fluids.... manual trans fluid change should be easy too.

Primalzer

Reaction score
OT: I saw that Ferrari suv over in palatine again yesterday and it looks like he opened some sort of shop? That yellow thing was inside and the sign said roadster on it
For some reason I want to say its a lancia such, and whoever that Guy is he always has something interesting parked out front

OP
Dasfinc

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
I think I said the year/details in the first post. It has 154 or 156K on it, I don't remember. :(

ONLY 'notable' damage on the truck is the top of the flare on the driver side looks like it had something dropped on it and is cracked in a 1sqft area that looks a bit ugly *shrugs*, Rest of the truck is straight as an arrow, no rust.

It does actually sound like an interesting vehicle. Throw up some pics.
Thank you, it is a good find, and hope it will serve me well if I keep it... Things are kinda up in the air until I figure out what will happen with the balt/finances/etc.

I didn't know they made it with a five spd auto?
98 and newer with the 4.0 V-6 were equipped with the 5R55E or w/e its called. The 2.5 and 3.0 had 4 speeds, and the explorers also switched to the 5 speed in 1998. Great transmission, not known for grenading like the AOD's were. I've heard great things about the 4X4 system in these too.

OP
Dasfinc

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
I kinda want one now :rofl:
It looks and feels ALOT bigger than I thought it would. Its 16 inches longer than my 2wd, and 5 inches higher *3 inch drop on my truck, 2 inch factory lift on the new one, plus the larger tires*.

It sits just as high as my old silverado did.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Grease fitting.

Primalzer

Reaction score
Yeah looking for one with a lot less miles than that, I looking for around 60-80K max.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom