4X conversion of non roller SBC w/retro roller cam

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Okay, the title is a damn mouth full but I'm trying to figure out how I can retrofit the engine I got from Cap42 with a retro roller in case I say fuck the Megasquirt idea. EFI Connection sells a kit that's about $700, which I truthfully cringe at spending that kind of bank without thinking about it first. What I have is:

-Non roller "010" SBC block.
-Comp retrofit roller cam
-Some form of cam button, not altogether sure at the moment. Could be roller or nylon
-Double roller timing chain.
-Cast Edelbrock timing cover

https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/21-152/10002/-1

Holley says this isn't compatible with a cam button, but doesn't really say why. I'm wondering what opinions are on modding this cover for one. The other option would be to take the current timing cover, make a jig based on a Vortec 350 timing cover then modify accordingly. That is presuming the reluctor fits under the cover of course which it may not.

Any options here I'm missing? Or should I just say fuck it and spend the bread on the EFI Connection stuff?

GLADIATOR

Are you not entertained?
Donating Member
Reaction score
If I recall, the cam button eliminates cam walking? I would contact the cam manufacturer to see if it's compatible with the year of the block. It might not need the cam button in certain applications.

You still have the Cam card?

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
If I recall, the cam button eliminates cam walking? I would contact the cam manufacturer to see if it's compatible with the year of the block. It might not need the cam button in certain applications.

You still have the Cam card?
To not need a cam button you need an oe roller block. The lobe profile of a flat tappet keeps it from walking. The lobes are tapered.

HILROD

Reaction score
A few companies sell a timing cover with a reinforcement for the cam button. Some blocks also have the bosses to tap under the timing gear to use a stock roller cam retainer from an 80s to 90s small block. I ran a stock timing cover for years with roller cam conversion in an older smallblock so if it's done right the cover isn't an issue.

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
A few companies sell a timing cover with a reinforcement for the cam button. Some blocks also have the bosses to tap under the timing gear to use a stock roller cam retainer from an 80s to 90s small block. I ran a stock timing cover for years with roller cam conversion in an older smallblock so if it's done right the cover isn't an issue.
Normally I would just go get another engine that was a roller block but this is a 383 with a 2pc rear main. It's a69-79 "010" block so not gonna have the lock plate unfortunately.

HILROD

Reaction score
I didn't say it would have the lock plate, but you might be able to tap the block if the bosses are cast in. The later 010 blocks do have the bosses. I bought one over the counter like 8 years or so ago that did, no lifter tray bosses tho.

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
That's going to be an 88-95 TBI block not an earlier gen block. Definitely no bosses in it they didn't show up until around a decade after this casting #. I may do the EFI Connection stuff anyways, just because I can control a 4L80E with it. That alone would save me the cost and I'd be a reluctor wheel away from LS Coiling it too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom