• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical 4runner - can’t fill fuel up

jvert

Go Bulls and Cubs
Jul 27, 2006
Looking for some help from TCG.
I have a 2005 V8 4runner with 61,XXX original miles. The issue is that I can’t fill the gas tank up with gas/fuel. No matter what I do the gas pump shuts off and I can only get a few drops of fuel in. I have googled and see this is a common problem and I just can’t figure things out. Any tips that you all may know?

thanks in advance

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
Looking for some help from TCG.
I have a 2005 V8 4runner with 61,XXX original miles. The issue is that I can’t fill the gas tank up with gas/fuel. No matter what I do the gas pump shuts off and I can only get a few drops of fuel in. I have googled and see this is a common problem and I just can’t figure things out. Any tips that you all may know?

thanks in advance
Is there a vent hose plugged full of dirt somewhere? That's generally the culprit. Or try turnin the handle upside down while you fill

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Does it vary between gas station brands or is it consistent from gas station to gast station? I battled this on the TA and it would be fine at Mobil and BP stations, but Shell would never work. I eventually ended up replacing an EVAP solenoid for an SEL light and it got better, but still occasionally have the problem. I think next would be to replace the charcoal canister. I mean, next would be to properly diagnosis it, but I'll probably throw parts at it.

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
Had the same issue with my GTO. Ended up being a simple part near the gas filler neck.

You can usually get it to fill by pulling it almost all the way out just so the flap is open and then pump slow. Too fast or too far in and the back pressure will cause the auto shutoff valve to activate
Thats what she said

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
make sure yers wasnt a metal flapper fill neck and the flap door didnt get punched into the neck causing a blockage. often a picture of an oe filler neck or the owners manual may point out if it has the door or not.
otherwise if youve ever had the tank dropped or boddy work the vent hose/neck hose may be clamped on wrong.

park on a sidehill, try both directions, if a steeper angle eliminates the issue just as easily as pulling the pump nozzle neck out past the vapor return holes in the OD of the gas pump nozzle..

the comp g does this if im not level or fill neck up on a sidehill i have to pull past the pump far enough to let me hang it upside down so you shoot it right past her teeth and down the throat without any splashback triggering the pump catch

Reactions: Rdrnnr

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
plastic gas can necks with the lip tend to destroy the flap doors since they are designed for smooth pump nozzles.

also many times youll find there is/was a ground strap from the neck to the unibody/chassis, make sure this is intact, some modern thermoplastic necks dont have it

i was always taught to ground myself to the neck, touch the pump, grab the one eye'd wonder weasel, shove it in and voila, no electron flow near flammable fumes.

here's where i usually remember im smoking and i hurriedly stub it out in the filler neck

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
plastic gas can necks with the lip tend to destroy the flap doors since they are designed for smooth pump nozzles.

also many times youll find there is/was a ground strap from the neck to the unibody/chassis, make sure this is intact, some modern thermoplastic necks dont have it

i was always taught to ground myself to the neck, touch the pump, grab the one eye'd wonder weasel, shove it in and voila, no electron flow near flammable fumes.

here's where i usually remember im smoking and i hurriedly stub it out in the filler neck
I was gonna say we have a drastically different outlook on volatility of fuel if your grounding yourself to the pump [emoji23] then again I play with giant high pressure air bombs all do so eventually whether it involves the fire part or not its not if it's when and how bad

jvert

Go Bulls and Cubs
Jul 27, 2006
Thanks TCG. As you can see from the picture a pinched vent tube. I have no idea how that happened.
D526A47E-5085-411C-AACD-D17B3454D508.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info