đź“° Auto News 4-Time Tesla Owner Opts For New Toyota Prius Prime Plug-In Hybrid-Electric Vehicle

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
you're missing it.

parts rarity affects insurance costs.

chevy avalanches are a fuck ton more to insure than a similar year, similarly equipped chevy suburban because there were way fewer avalanches. even though at their core they are basically the same vehicle.
avalanches have specialized body pieces. you can't call up bobs junkyard to get a rear bed storage box easily if a bedside gets taken out so shops are forced to either buy new oem or insurance company totals out the vehicle.

it's not ignorance, it's how insurance works.

it's why a corvette is cheap to insure, there's bajillions of them, and bajillions of them in junkyards.

Yes, along with injury / mortality, theft, typical demographics of owner / drivers.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Yes, along with injury / mortality, theft, typical demographics of owner / drivers.

A part from maybe a valet dude taking it for a joy ride or what not, I am not sure I’ve heard of a Tesla theft.

Not saying it’s impossible but it def wouldn’t be a target for your average thief.

Not only would you have to break in, but then electronically somehow wake the car up and then start it. Also you can have a 2 factor authentication in these cars where you have to enter a code to start it.

A lot of trouble for a thief just sitting there doing all of this lol. That and coupled with live tracking and sentry mode watching the car 360 degrees on the cameras lol.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
A part from maybe a valet dude taking it for a joy ride or what not, I am not sure I’ve heard of a Tesla theft.

Not saying it’s impossible but it def wouldn’t be a target for your average thief.

Not only would you have to break in, but then electronically somehow wake the car up and then start it. Also you can have a 2 factor authentication in these cars where you have to enter a code to start it.

A lot of trouble for a thief just sitting there doing all of this lol. That and coupled with live tracking and sentry mode watching the car 360 degrees on the cameras lol.

That’s where an insurance carrier actuary could better answer your statement.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
$290 / month - that nuts

You are an adult, driving an adult type vehicle.

Not a 18 yrs old driving a Camaro ZL1

Hence me bitching in the earlier posts how stupid insurance companies are. When one quoted me that amount I asked them if they thought it was some exotic car or something.

I’m 31 years old married with a kid. If this was a brand new R8 worth 200k? Ok sure. But this is a family car. Worth 55k

Reactions: Blood on Blood

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Are high insurance rates due to bad Tesla drivers or because of their restrictions on repairs? I assume purely bodywork can be done at body shops but I thought most other things were restricted to dealers only?
This is kind of what I’m thinking, combined with part scarcity.

If it takes a month to get anything replaced on the car and the part cost is sky high, you’re f’d when something happens.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Side note related to insurance: Tesla just got approval for it’s in house insurance in Illinois. So with tesla insurance it is dramatically cheaper because they have access to your telemetry data and also know the cars have built in 360 camera coverage that gets saved in case of an accident so it’s easier to prove fault

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
okay so let's chat bout this. i really don't know but i know from my firemen buddy's they have special classes in dealing with accidents that have hybrids/electric vehicles and how to cut them open/extract people/etc.

with something like the hybrid- could costs be higher because of the hybrid systems and potential risks to the occupants?

vehicles are a drop in the bucket to repair compared to humans, and humans is where the real cost comes from.

and that's typically why a suburban is more to insure than a comparble silverado- because you can have more people in it and potentially more people to fix if soemthing goes wrong.

Yeah that logic checks

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Side note related to insurance: Tesla just got approval for it’s in house insurance in Illinois. So with tesla insurance it is dramatically cheaper because they have access to your telemetry data and also know the cars have built in 360 camera coverage that gets saved in case of an accident so it’s easier to prove fault

i mean i guess that helps in incidents where the driver isn't at fault but what about the rest of the time :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
A surprising number of claims are from vehicles that are parked and get damaged. Having 360 cameras and recording is key to finding others at fault

i mean, that's one aspect, i've personally never had an experience with that luckily, but i've hit plenty of animals, and gotten hailed on plenty of times.

but... those are comp claims and wouldn't hurt you anyways.

i just can't see tesla insurance cutting the price that crazy significantly just because of being able to point a finger. just so many other accident scenarios, and past that not every state has at-fault shit.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
and then even further, cool, some civic hit you in the parking lot at meijer, now what?
tesla and their insurance can be like THEY HIT US all they want... cops are gonna be like uh ok don't give a fuck. youll wind up in court trying to prove blame.

my wife got backed into at a stoplight and the trailblazer did $2500 worth of damage to my wife's crv... it was clear as fuck on the accident report. the lady claimed her son shifted the trailblazer into reverse without her knowing :rolleyes:

we still had to go through our insurance and go to court 3 separate times to be made whole across 6 months, and the person who hit my wife even had insurance through a known company and admitted fault :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i think one huge aspect that would make tesla insurance cheaper, is being able to sell parts to themselves without a crazy markup, that would be a hugely significant area of savings.

also i think tesla insurance paying a tesla shop to fix a tesla would also have savings as well. definitely areas in that aspect that they will find savings for sure, that'll be awesome.

Reactions: Stink Star

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Oh hell no. Sorry, you can't have access to my telemetry or video footage.

That shit is mine. I will never allow that.

Its one thing if I have it and choose to provide it, its another if you just have 100% access to it.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
didn't even think of that aspect.

This is where I absolutely cannot abide by having cloud storage. If its in the cloud you do not control it, nor if you request it deleted can you be assured its actually been deleted and any backups of it removed.

So if the telemetry gets into the cloud, and a court orders the vendor of the service to provide that data, then you don't have control over it.

This is why I'd want anything like that on an SD card or USB drive in the car. Something I could remove at will. Something I could choose to provide, or destroy.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So don’t use tesla insurance then?
Many insurance companies already offer services like this which they pedal to you as 'get a discount on your premiums'. They have OBD2 dongles that have GPS and cellular connectivity. Those dongles collect data from the car. This data is uploaded to the insurance providers cloud for a 'discounted' insurance. However, they now have access to your driving habits. How aggressively do you accelerate, or brake. How fast you were going on what roads...etc.

Exactly how many miles and where you travel. They get to record it all.

And then, they can use that data to adjust your premiums. Frequently drive to an area with a high crime rate? They can increase your premiums because of that.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Many insurance companies already offer services like this which they pedal to you as 'get a discount on your premiums'. They have OBD2 dongles that have GPS and cellular connectivity. Those dongles collect data from the car. This data is uploaded to the insurance providers cloud for a 'discounted' insurance. However, they now have access to your driving habits. How aggressively do you accelerate, or brake. How fast you were going on what roads...etc.

Exactly how many miles and where you travel. They get to record it all.

And then, they can use that data to adjust your premiums. Frequently drive to an area with a high crime rate? They can increase your premiums because of that.

can they actually increase premiums because of what they find?

i thought they could only discount, not increase.

Reactions: Stink Star
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info