$3k mods budget - '02 C5

m_dogg

Reaction score
My buddy picked up minty '02 C5 M6. He had it for few months and current power level is not enough anymore. He's not into modding that much and asked me if I know how to make it faster. After reading this and that I see basic LS1 bolt ons consist of intake, headers, tune, some like to swap LS6 intake. I'm sure I'm missing a lot (3800 nutswinger...)

Can you advise how to get most out of it and what parts to buy/where? Even the smallest things like plugs type/gap, thermostat...everything. He's got $3k+ to blow away.

Thanks!

lastls1

Reaction score
If he does the work himself obv sky is the limit. The basic thing would be headers, cam, intake, throttle body?, Possible small shot of nitrous?

Heads, Cam, and nitrous would be about 3k if not slightly over. Dont forget a clutch as well.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Should already have an LS6 intake on the car; they came from the factory like that in 02, I believe.

lastls1

Reaction score
Should already have an LS6 intake on the car; they came from the factory like that in 02, I believe.
This is true I forgot. So a nice heads cam setup with a clutch would be a good start. texas speed has some nice packages

lastls1

Reaction score
He'll need someone to install it for him.
Ah well if a speed shop does it then figure just a clutch and cam for that price with the supporting mods. (thermostat, timing chain, oil pump, fluids etc) Heads will be out of the question if he is paying for install labor.

m_dogg

Reaction score
What's a good place to have it installed/tuned. Speed Inc?

lastls1

Reaction score
Speed inc would be number 1 in my book and probably most others here as well. I would have him give them a call. Tell him to remember to factor in the 400-500 dollar tune as well in this budget. They take care of us TCG guys especially referals which a lot of shops live and die by.

I can tell you their tuner is top notch, My car has pulled harder than a few of those making more actual HP numbers than me all because my tune is spot on. Numbers arn't everything

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Speed inc #1.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
$3k isn't much if that's got to cover install too. Intake, headers, exhaust and a tune is about all you're going to get with that

m_dogg

Reaction score
He just texted me back, $4k is more like it.
I'll get in touch with Speed Inc.

Thanks for the input!

lefty

Reaction score
gear, intake/TB/Lid, Full Exhaust, might have money left for roller rockers and a cam if he buys used and searches for deals. TB,l lid and exhaust he can def do himself. should be able to do the intake too. He should really learn to do the easy stuff himself

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Excellent suggestions in here. I'm certain Speed can set you up!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom