3D printers...who has one?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I've got a sandblasting setup. What about a sanding followed by a walnut shell blasting or some mild media like that?

These things really would need to hold up to life on a truck wheel, so would need to be made out of some fairly robust material.
He’s saying sanding....with sand paper. Not media blasting. Sanding them smooth and painting them would hold up the best.

I don’t see center caps as a high wear item. Most are made of plastic anyways.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
He’s saying sanding....with sand paper. Not media blasting. Sanding them smooth and painting them would hold up the best.

I don’t see center caps as a high wear item. Most are made of plastic anyways.
I knew what he meant. I worded my sentence poorly.

After a CONVENTIONAL SANDPAPER SANDING to best appearance reasonably possible, after the conventional sanding, would there be any benefit to a mild media blasting?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I knew what he meant. I worded my sentence poorly.

After a CONVENTIONAL SANDPAPER SANDING to best appearance reasonably possible, after the conventional sanding, would there be any benefit to a mild media blasting?
On way to know is to try. Not much info out there in that regards

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Yeah I don't see it as a big deal to make in all probability.

Any idea why I am getting high spots like this? it is driving me nuts since I think it is causing layer shift.

IMG_20210324_082606518.jpg

Also first prints on the TronXY. Just some basic pla and a quick disconnect for my Dillon.

IMG_20210318_222451748.jpg

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I'm going to redo my heated chamber to add the Tronxy then I think I'm going to swap to PLA and low infill and take a shot at this. The goal is to convert it into aluminum. I have about 6 hours of CAD time into it, so we'll see if it's viable or not. If you notice I didn't do anything with the latching part because I was getting lazy about the idea of having to add cores to this.

bottom_rest.png

top_rest.png

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Oh dear God that's brilliant I cannot find a steady rest for my leblond Regal
How big of a lathe? I was talking to someone else on another forum and they were just thinking about printing one 100% and giving it a shot. I'm thinking I like the comfort of aluminum personally but If you're ballsy. I can't decide if the failure mode of it would be catastrophic or not if it happened...............

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
15x40 but it'll swing over 16.

I'd have to figure that thing would be pretty f****** strong. Only thing you could do to make it any more homogeneous would be post-treatment or enabling ironing between layers.

All of the steady rest forces basically upward and towards the rear of the machine I don't think you're going to have a problem if anything it might move a little bit but you should be able to compensate.
It's better than not having a steady rest or using a rigged up set up with two by fours

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
15x40 but it'll swing over 16.

I'd have to figure that thing would be pretty f****** strong. Only thing you could do to make it any more homogeneous would be post-treatment or enabling ironing between layers.

All of the steady rest forces basically upward and towards the rear of the machine I don't think you're going to have a problem if anything it might move a little bit but you should be able to compensate.
It's better than not having a steady rest or using a rigged up set up with two by fours

I was more concerned with having a piece of stock whipping around if it broke. I mean hell, I'm thinking if you believe it'd work going totally the hell ghetto and making some ABS fingers or something. :rofl:

I do have a fuckload of cam followers in the basement though, now that you've said it (or I have whichever.)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info