3D printers...who has one?

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Oh and rubbing alcohol works well for cleaning the bed, windex is alright. Your bed will probably not be very flat. I used cut pieces of foil to get it flat and it’s worked out well.

pla has been super easy to deal with. Clean bed and things stick while it’s heated and pop right off when it cools down. PETG has been a struggle for me and I’ve been using glue stick to hold it down (and not fuck up my bed).

b00sted

He's Still Your President
Reaction score
Yeah Fusion 360 is easy once you understand the basics and get the workflow down. My buddy needed some new plastic clips for the HVAC controls in his 69 Cadillac, and it took like 2 minutes to model up and send to the printer.

signal-2020-07-02-095423_001.jpg

signal-2020-07-02-095423_002.jpg

signal-2020-07-02-095423_003.jpg

signal-2020-07-02-095423_004.jpg

OP
tinfoilhat

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
based on what I am reading, Ill be sticking with PLA+ for now until I got it down. Seems like it will be strong enough for everything I need

OP
tinfoilhat

tinfoilhat

Donating Member
Reaction score
And so it begins.... Heading to MC to get the ender 3 pro and 2 rolls of filament.

Tomorrow amazon delivers the springs, glass bed and metal extruder. That should be good for now. All said and done I am under $300 for everything

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
So how hard is it to design shit? Like if I wanted to make a socket holder or something like that how long would the design faze be??
did you try thingiverse yet?

fusion 360 is free def learning curve unless you cad.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
And so it begins.... Heading to MC to get the ender 3 pro and 2 rolls of filament.

Tomorrow amazon delivers the springs, glass bed and metal extruder. That should be good for now. All said and done I am under $300 for everything
Just the stock like metal extruder?

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Should be plenty for a while. Only reason I went all metal hot end was because of PETG using way higher temps. Might end up with a direct drive extruder because of that shit too.

PLA is great for around the house stuff. Just doesn’t do well with high heat or UV

OP
tinfoilhat

tinfoilhat

Donating Member
Reaction score
Should be plenty for a while. Only reason I went all metal hot end was because of PETG using way higher temps. Might end up with a direct drive extruder because of that shit too.

PLA is great for around the house stuff. Just doesn’t do well with high heat or UV
That's exactly why I held off on that for now. I noticed it seemed to be more recommended for the higher heat applications.

b00sted

Reaction score
Yeah I forgot to mention that I did that exact aluminum extruder setup from the get go. I heard the stock one was junk, and when I put the printer together that was super obvious...So definitely a good/necessary upgrade.

I've been looking into upgrading the parts cooling fan setup(I printed that fang setup and it looks sick) and I want to add auto bed-leveling if I ever get my new mainboard. I ordered it months ago but I think it's stuck on some ship due to the Rona.

OP
tinfoilhat

tinfoilhat

Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah I forgot to mention that I did that exact aluminum extruder setup from the get go. I heard the stock one was junk, and when I put the printer together that was super obvious...So definitely a good/necessary upgrade.

I've been looking into upgrading the parts cooling fan setup(I printed that fang setup and it looks sick) and I want to add auto bed-leveling if I ever get my new mainboard. I ordered it months ago but I think it's stuck on some ship due to the Rona.
It took my LEDs 2 months from China, usually it's 1. So most likely that is the case.

I may put it together with the stock one so I can play with it tonight since the metal one doesn't show up till tomorrow

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Easy enough to swap out. People swing hard from a dude named CHEP on YT. His hot end fix fixed my heat creep issue before I ditched the stock end.

b00sted

Reaction score
I'm sure it'll be fine with the stock one for the time being. It sounds like it just starts slipping after a while and you get erratic filament feeding. Plus, it's an easy thing to swap out after the fact.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Mine started cutting thru the arm where it feed thru. The roller helped get it away from there too.

OP
tinfoilhat

tinfoilhat

Donating Member
Reaction score
Mine started cutting thru the arm where it feed thru. The roller helped get it away from there too.

Nice, I'll add that to the list of mods to print for the ender :rofl: I have like 5 now. Also bought some bearings that some of the mods called for.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
What else did you find? About the only thing I regret was a different guide

OP
tinfoilhat

tinfoilhat

Donating Member
Reaction score

b00sted

Reaction score

Was going to print 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10
I printed and use that top filament guide(#5) and it works perfect. Althought I did bump into the arm and break that mount piece that fits into the chassis...But that's easy enough to replace.

That top z-axis support looks like a good and easy mod.

I also want to do the capricorn bowden tube...The factory tube has quite a bit of slop in it, and I've heard it melts easy if you start dabbling in any filaments that require a higher extruder temp.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
These were a few things I found useful too

OP
tinfoilhat

tinfoilhat

Donating Member
Reaction score
First test print was good....but then the next 2 prints for real things didn't stick well and got knocked off the bed twice.

Readjusted and running it again, so far so good.

Here was my first test print. Not bad, could be better.

20200703_075659 (1).jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom