đź’¬ OT 3D printers...who has one?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Just get a pi and usb webcam

gotta say I stand corrected on this one. had a pi laying around I always said I would do something with one day and decided today is that day. It is a bit finicky but overall seems awesome feature wise. a reboot does pretty well to fix it as of yet knock on wood. Threw a web cam on as well although that needs a different position. I can't see anything over head.

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
got more done on our new printer, got a bunch of stuff done and tested, we are fully updated to reprap 3.1.1 and configurations/pin assignments.

some teething with the S parameters now reserved for laser tool heads H is now used, inverting of drives is different as well.

i got it running at 400mm/s
so freaking fast, unfortunatly i fatfingered the travel limit to our full 860mm and i chooched the trigger for the end stop at H2 which ignores the limit switch and whether the machine is fully homed (im waiting on some stuff for the Z)

it should have been an H1 which ignores the home condition but still stops when an endstop is triggered.

so a moons 125oz/in nema 17 can really do some damage even though i had it limited to 1.4 amps...before i could hit the E stop it had already done something internally to the stepper.

also, check out m300 tunes....ours now plays the mario theme when it reboots :rofl:

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
I guess I need to read this thread now. Brother got me this for Christmas.

6D3C773B-1572-4027-A6A8-C16939338E6D.jpeg

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
why is your bed so nasty lol

It's covered in ABS goo. you put some acetone on the bed and slather a scrap of ABS across it so that you get better adhesion. Some people mix acetone/ABS together but that seems to work as well. Adhesion of the raft was very good at this point.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Ah gotcha. I don't print ABS lol

Neither do I really. I just make blobs of ABS string on my printer.

Cranked the fuck out of it. 110 on the bed, 230 at the nozzle. Lets see what she does. Print speed is still slow, we'll try laying hot and slow then cooling as much as possible. The layer thickness is thin as well, I'm not sure how that's going to play out. I should have put it back to draft thickness levels this is damn slow for iterating. I'm not sure how much changing the thickness will change the thermal dynamics either tbh.

Next mod is going to be a re-worked hot end shroud to try and keep more cooling air off the part as I go along.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
ABS seems to be working a lot better. Not PLA by any means but serviceable. Bumped the living fuck out of the bed temp. I think my hot ends temperature sensor was erratic before and causing thermal cutout at elevated temperature.

The next step after this print completes is to see if it is dimensionally adequate or needs altered because of shrinkage.

16098776688423333520785749517309.jpg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
yeah remebering my school days I am probably short on differential control. If I remember them correctly. From what I remember you have to flash your printer to alter those settings.
Depends on the printer and firmware running. I just enter a M command to do mine.

Reactions: Turbocharged400sbc

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
basically alot of the things ya did to make it print may need to be reset so its setup properly

remember guys, even just disassembly and reassembly can change the heater. its just an M code and a cycle count and temp parameter and it does the rest. you just take the data it spits back at ya (in proterface/YetAnotherTerminal YAT) and another m500 before you shut it down so that it actually saves the parameters into the bin file
Mcode for the test, then an Mcode to insert the PID numbers from prev M code into the bin, then another M code (m500 i seem to recall) to actually save it permanently for reboot. i sorta screwed myself forgetting that last save....it would revert to the old settings after reboot.

bed heater didnt change much, it only changed when i went to heavier cables and resoldered at the pad

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I haven't gotten to the bed heater yet. I am thinking a 110v conversion would be easy.

jacked the heat way up thinking I would make goo. Things are looking better. I also dumped the raft and went to a brim.

IMG_20210106_105720514.jpg

Also, is going to a 32 bit SKR board worth it besides the noise reduction? Mine's in the basement and has an enclosure so I'm less inclined to care at this point.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Here's my progress:
IMG_20210106_185413597.jpg
The lower one is what I got bumping the temperature up. You can see how much less warping is going on. I did 102%, it's a smidge too big so I need to go to 101%. Durability seems excellent I'm running at 100% infill. The durability seems there, this is extremely stiff. I'd run it with a very high degree of confidence on durability based on what I've been reading about people making PLA 10/22 receivers.

Lower temperature You can see how the base adhesion was poor even with a full raft.
IMG_20210106_185432466.jpg

Higher temperature (bed 110C, nozzle 240C) This was a brim, not a raft and it still came out better. Bed adhesion was excellent, even too strong as there was the surface of the Borosilicate glass that came off.
IMG_20210106_185439467.jpg

IMG_20210106_185411672.jpg

I ordered new bed glass, a BLTOUCH and a few sundry bits for my printer. I figured a couple extra thermal probes are a good idea and ordered a spring kit with billet up/down wheels. I've heard the springs make the bed hold level better so I figured what the heck.

Thread Info