3800 VE Debate - My Findings

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
With all the the VE tuning debates within the 3800 community, I decided to try an experiment to prove/disprove the debate.

For my 03 SSEi, peforming a VE Tune (4 tunes to get LTFTs within -3%/+3%) did not make ANY difference in my subsequent MAF tuning.

Attached is my before and after VE and MAF tables. The before VE table was the stock table. The after VE table has significant changes above 2400 RPMs.

The MAF tables ended up VERY close regardless of which VE table was used.

http://www.glovertech.com/Tuning/VETuneExperiment_03SSEi.xls

So far, chalk up one for VE tune does not matter.

Discuss.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
My car would not get within double digits in the fuel trim department without considerable VE table modifications. I'm talking several weeks of VE tuning, each scan being no less than 15 minutes of all sorts of throttle situations. Less modified vehicles required much less VE tuning, but it was always helpful.

The same has been true for EVERY car I've tuned extensively, which are all coincidentally also 97 cars.

I can't say anything for later years, but VE tuning is most DEFINITELY of great importance on a 97 car. As far as I've read, some .bins reference the table, some don't, but most if not all 97's most certainly do reference it from my experiences.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
unless you clean your maf regularly and have a spare maf in the glovebox, how many of ya are gonna be royally pissed trying to drive/limp your car with a failed maf with no ve tuning?

i can say that a 98 riv with a damn good maf tune after a cycle of VE the maf tune is off, so i'm with mat that some bins are referencing it more than others

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
unless you clean your maf regularly and have a spare maf in the glovebox, how many of ya are gonna be royally pissed trying to drive/limp your car with a failed maf with no ve tuning?

exactly! the volumetric efficiency table is used when the MAF fails. i never bothered to change anything in that table because if my MAF failed i would just set the car on fire.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
exactly! the volumetric efficiency table is used when the MAF fails. i never bothered to change anything in that table because if my MAF failed i would just set the car on fire.

f-ing x2 and chalk another one up about the VE being useless. I don't care how my car runs when the maf fails, i don't plan on driving it like that for very long... :dunno: seems like a waste of gas to me. Just for arguing purposes my car WON'T get a VE tune this season even with all the new secret modz which i wouldn't consider "average" modz by any means and tuning, like usual, will be a breeze.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info