3800 swapping my living room. No, it doesn't run yet. BONUS choo-choo content inside!

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I have way too many 3800 parts in my hoard that I will likely never need. Since I am a hoarder, selling or scrapping them is out of the question. Instead, how about an art project? I've always thought those engine coffee tables were neat. I've always wanted to build one and my man-cave is kinda lame. However, I hate ruining parts that are still good. Therefore, I'm taking a slightly different approach. This whole thing can be disassembled and repurposed If I decide that it's tacky. Who knows. Maybe I'll even need the parts for cores! Besides, the whole welding connecting rods to the block deck method is sort of basic and over done anyway. I want to make this my own.

I really didn't want to block sitting directly on the floor for the blocks sake AND the floors sake. I measured the oil pan bolt holes.

1640275738780.png

1/4 - 20 is quite tiny and weak for the amount of weight it's going to have to support. Hopefully it'll be fine distributed among eight legs. Off to Amazon I went. I ended up getting 8 studs, union nuts and rubber feet.
1640275971800.png

Yes, I'm keeping the crank in it unless I decide to build one of those stupid lamps. In fact, I'm going to have heads and one of my RWD converted intakes on it too! I have my old painted valve covers from the Camaro to slap on when it's all done. Since the block and intake are hot tanked, a little paint on the cylinder heads should make this look really nice. Don't mind the all thread, I was hoping to make supports for the glass like this, but I couldn't pull it off without it being both weak and ugly.
1640276050986.png

So I decided to utilize the heads instead. Each corner will have a bar bolted to it like this.
1640276163210.png

I wouldn't be doing any of this if I was going to have to spend a bunch of money. This means I wouldn't just BUY a piece of glass. I had that sitting around too.
1640276575791.png

Odd shape and super thick right? This piece of glass has an interesting history. My great-grandpa worked for Electromotive Diesel from 1934 to 1974, and at some point along the way he acquired this windshield. He ended up using it as a bar top with some cool old pictures of an Aerotrain and crew who built it sandwiched underneath. I wish I had pictures of that bar as it was originally built because it was pretty cool. My dad ended up building an entirely new bar around it so all that remains to be seen are the doors and the inside. I couldn't convince him leave it alone, but I at least have the glass.

No. This windshield is not from an Aerotrain, although that would be a pretty awesome conversation starter. For those who don't know, An EMD Aerotrain is a very rare and futuristic locomotive that was built in McCook, IL. The workers took a lot of pride in this project.
1640277164259.png

From the research I've done, there's only one series that this windshield appears to have come from. While the Streamliner was not a very rare locomotive, it was still a classy and pretty iconic design.
1640277610023.png

1640277658953.png

If I'm being honest, I wish there was something cooler I could do with it that would reflect its locomotive roots, but at least it's sitting on top a fellow quality GM product? It's also much better than collecting dust in a closet! Anyway, before I continue on with supports, I figured it would be wise to build the windshield frame first. I'm doing this out of angle iron from my scrap pile.
1640277893927.png

It looks like shit, but you won't notice any of the rough parts when it's all put together. I figure I'll have this part done in another few days.
1640277933330.png

I'm still not sure how I'm going to build legs from the heads to the frame, but I figure it will be a lot easier to measure it by mocking up the frame instead of the massive chunk of glass. I'm thinking it will just be four more bars of one inch box tube on their respective necessary angles to center the frame. Hopefully I'll have glass suspended over a 3800 by the end of the week.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
It took way longer than expected, but I have a frame.
PXL_20220117_215154011.jpg

Since the last post, I learned that this glass is not even close to symmetrical, so it's been cut, bend, check, weld, check again, grind, repeat 1000 times.

Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to mount it to the bars on the heads.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
That’s pretty cool. I’m not really up on my locomotive history, but I’m pretty sure there are two of those old streamliners decaying outside of the old CB&Q Burlington shops between Burlington and Danville Iowa. They were converted for snow plowing operations and then just forgotten out there apparently. Burlington was one of the biggest EMD repair facilities in the system, but it was shuttered when BN merged with ATSF and they started buying more GE locomotives.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I ended up using more of the 1x1 boxed tubing as risers. I really don't want to do this, but I think I'm cutting off the two on the concave side because they're oriented in a way that doesn't allow a valve cover to be installed. I fixed that on the convex side. To just be done with it, I thought it would be kinda cool to just leave the one side exposed with my fancy roller rockers, but that would kinda mean that I need a cam and lifters too. I won't have junk ones to toss in until I do the swap in the Camaro. We'll see.

I tried to avoid it, but I also had to but a tie bar down the middle of the windshield frame. There was a sizeable gap between it and the glass if I wasn't holding it in shape. Much to my surprise. Getting this thing relatively centered, and level with only the help of two jack stands was pretty easy. It was a balancing act, but I made it happen.
1642768316496.png

1642767714634.png

This angle makes it look like an actual table! It also gives you a look at how insanely dirty my garage has gotten due to all the grinding.
1642767690280.png

If anybody has a set of timing cover bolts that they can give up, I'd be very appreciative! I'm excited to start making all the parts look pretty.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I wanted to hang the last bracket on the original FWD coil bracket studs, so I needed to slot it instead of making holes. There was a lot of filler welding involved. The thin parts are basically solid weld.
1643116526498.png

1643116590044.png

Paint! It's still wet in the picture, but it will be flat black.
1643116614618.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info