Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Welcome.

Careful spraying pre blower as well. Its been said and seen a few times that it can strip the coating off the rotors, which actually can lower your boot.

I got a set of rotors off of a local scammer, I mean installer, and they were nice and shiny. No coating what so ever. Came out of a meth build. Basically worthless.

bandook

Oct 7, 2019
Thanks guys. Yeah it's true, it will strip your rotors. What's not true is that you lose boost. Perhaps a tiny amount, but not even a pound. My rotors are now squeaky clean, but I didn't notice any boost loss. Could be that the spray is actually sealing the rotors a bit which makes up for any boost lost?

BTW, I love the new cam. It's just a VS (very small?) cam, but it was worth it to me. I can hardly make the engine knock now. I'm at 22° timing. Only wish I did the cam before a lot of other mods.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
How do you know?

I see in your previous posts you were running a 2.8 pulley with a gen 3 blower. If your rotors were coated and everything was running at stock tolerances, you could be seeing the exact same boost numbers with a 3.0 pulley instead of the 2.8. All that smaller pulley does is add heat to to gain back what you lost on top. At least thats what was shown years (jezuuuus its been 15+ years since we discussed and did this crap. LOL) on clubgp.

The only for sure 100% way to know you are not even losing a pound of boost is to swap your rotors. Others have in the past and picked up boost. So the idea was to go up a pulley size and raise timing. Same boost, less heat.

Not trying to be an ass or say you wasted money, but there IS a trade off with doing meth instead of doing the IC. Cheaper, less parts. Trade off is the higher chance of catastrophic failure if the system fails at WOT and as we were talking the possibility of not maximizing your power adder.

bandook

Oct 7, 2019
Lol, I'm not building a racecar. Even though my 5 year old calls it my racecar. I bought this car for 1000 bucks, and have maybe another 3k in it. I respect your guys opinions, and I'm sure you all know more than me, but like I said this is a hobby. Am I going to go through the trouble of swapping rotors and changing pulleys to pick up a tenth? Nope. I like the idea of spraying meth. I ran a 13.6 with a 2.8 gen 3 on meth. And that was only my 3rd pass. 2.4 60ft. If I seen slips of people running crazy faster with the same build, minus spray, I'd change my setup.

Again, no disrespect, not trying to be a hardass, but don't mistake me for a pro. Think of me as a 42 year old kid who finally had time to turn wrenches as a hobby.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Hey man, we arent trying to be dicks either. Id say we have a pretty decent size collection of 3800 knowledge here and just trying to save you a headache. Plus IIRC 10sec did run meth for awhile. Maybe he didnt. So many damn people. HAHA.

IIRC its take 2 tenths off your ET per 10th you get your 60 down. No other changes except some traction and practice launching would have been a 12 second pass easily.

As far as boost, I honestly cant remember. Id say 10-12? Back in the day it was basically a race to get your pulley size down. It was almost a reverse size comparison. :ROFLMAO: Then people realized that tuning/timing played a big factor as well.

bandook

Oct 7, 2019
We're good man. I have a ton to learn, and that's why I joined this forum. Seen a lot of 3800 love. Guess I wasn't prepared to be told I needed to rip off my meth kit. Not you, but others. Maybe there is truth there, but I haven't seen any actual evidence. If you read the link I posted, that to me is more valid than some forum member giving advice. I think cooling the rotors, and in turn cooling the post blower air, just makes sense. But if I seen actual proof that I would be better off without meth, I'd tear it off tomorrow. Seriously, if be happy to learn something new. I'm only going off the data that I've currently accumulated.

I wish I could launch harder, but I'm on stock trans. I'd like to have a built trans by next summer. For now I'm gonna baby it as much as I can resist.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
There hasn't been anything that proves there is a measurable difference with rotors that have a coating and those that don't. Eaton was able to test the difference, but most don't have access to equipment like that or a control.

Remember, not all gen 3's had a coating on the rotors.

Thread Info