Twin Turbo 3800 K2500

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
I just realized that I keep leaving you guys out of the loop on things... And since I'm getting close to the next stage of progress on this truck build thingy I figured I should backpedal a bit so you know what's going on.

I turned a scrap lamp post into a new washer fluid tank.
mX8Q9Ju.jpg

OLtK3B8.jpg

OqGa4NK.jpg

The 500a solenoid for the second battery:
97qgP5o.jpg

plumbing for the washer tank, and the new wires and fuse for the inverter:
PxSfWdq.jpg

I pulled the temperamental '93 gear reduction starter motor, and found a surprise. The starter cable, which was routed along the frame rail, was apparently too close to the wrapped headers and the heat made the wire shielding crack. This was due to the angle it points away from the starter at and the bend it takes to route it away from the the manifold. I fixed it with some adhesive lined heat shrink and some heat reflective tape, and of course routed it a little differently to get it as far away from the header as possible - which I could do with the new starter as the stud was oriented differently.
VPqxXAY.jpg

I'm glad I ended up with the series 2 gear reduction starter, it's even smaller size gives more clearance to the turbskie.
xOXk9mo.jpg

The big thing I worked on over the winter here was the standalone TCC controller. Some further details - I started out with a PICAXE micro controller I had bought for some other project a while ago and never had a chance to do (my 86 lesabre). So I decided to give it a shot as a TCC controller. If you don't know what a PICAXE is, look it up. Its basically a simple to use controller with a preloaded software that can run a basic code. Not unlike the microcontroller you'd find in a microwave or washing machine. There was a bit of learning curve to it to understand how it works and compatible inputs and outputs. But i managed to write a program that will lock the TCC under specific conditions. Inputs include engine temp, vss, tps, and map sensors. Vss was the difficult one, as the sensor generates an AC signal and has limited info available. I ended up deciding to use the pcm output for this. The pcm internally grounds the speed output wire at a rate of 4k ppm. Since it's not being used at all on the truck, I'd have to use a pull-up circuit to convert it to a useable signal. I'll use a relay to provide power to the tcc solenoid, the controller will trigger the relay.

lxuLpHP.jpg

Then I designed a prototype circuit board to house it.
1sfyupE.jpg

after some trial and error i managed to successfully transfer it to a copper clad board
tAz0sFT.jpg

FJQSbHb.jpg

hpyFBC0.jpg

and etched it
MtlSYQ5.jpg

KQo1NWP.jpg

This is the same process I used for the 3a USB charger in the minivan project. Once the Montana is done I'll be switching back to the truck. In addition to the TCC stuff I have some hard lines for the turbocharger oiling to fix, finish the exhaust, get a wideband on it and switch to e85 and more boost... Just enough so I can make the next scrap run. I need this truck to be a reliable/viable backup vehicle while I fix up a few other minor issues on the '97 L67 Lesabre.

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
Got more bored-ed and decided to make progress on not the Montana exhaust again!

xDsPT4j.jpg

cPuK8ZD.jpg

tpWhUDW.jpg

F2AMlIC.jpg

VVzvwIu.jpg

I only put this off for like a few years...

After screwing around with the downpipes and loose bolts everywhere on the turbos yet again, I'm probably going to re-do the turbos if I have to touch them one more time. Going to go a lot bigger and E85 since dual gas tanks. The ebay wastegates are flashing up to 10psi before settling back down to 5, the one turbo is back to blowing oil smoke all over the place, and looks like oil is blowing out past every single engine gasket even though I've got the updates to the PCV system. Sitting at idle it clears up most of the smoke until it gets into boost. As soon as you shut it off something under the hood turns into a smokeshow... But it's so quiet now I discovered that a bunch of other crap in the front end is loose....:LOL:

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Nice! I want exhaust clips of this one now. lol

My turbo has coated up the inside of my charge pipe as well. I'm just using a crappy ebay turbo though. Short of replacing it with a name brand, I'm not sure what to do. I've heard of people rebuilding ebay turbos with name brand kits, but I would not have a clue as to which one to buy. I'm guessing I did this when I was using that Intense oil pressure spring kit with 15w-40 which is way too heavy. I pegged the 120psi gauge about any time the engine was under load. ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info