3800 - Ford GT blower swap

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
Do you know if that system has outputs to let you datalog? I do like the neatness of that a lot but I have absolutely no room for more gauges haha. It looks like an alien spaceship cockpit as it is. I'll have to keep looking around. I can definitely fit up to 5mm or 1/4" or 1/16npt threaded probes comfortably in my intercooler house. A lot of them have probe bodies smaller than that with huge threaded fittings - really irritating

Online Store - Intercooler In and Intercooler Out Gauge | SPA Technique

Their site stinks.. but looks it. And has to be cause the PT AD ports are used for logging the in/out temps.

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid

time for some proof this is still going down - I'm getting some momentum again

the top of the top (out of 3) plate is done

Here's the nearly $300 2.5" thick billet i'm cutting most of the material out of and throwing away that is the middle plate lol

very nearly finished

I still need to do the bottom of the top plate and also get going on the bottom plate which I haven't even gotten the material for yet. There's a lot to do but it's progressing

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
I forgot to post the intercooler cartridge itself from BIC.
:naughtyd: hashtag girth

here i made a quick template to make sure my o-ring dimensions were good
The struggle was coming up with a way to positively seal around the intercooler core. This isn't necessarily critical (none of the vendors do that) but the the core itsself not being square all around and having the weld seams and stuff i'm gonna end up with some needed clearances around it and therefore gaps that the air charge would sneak through. I didn't want that so I'm o-ringing the core on both sides. I gotta be very good with the dimensions to pull that off.

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
Judge the right size oring before bolting together.

One for the whipple while it seemed right, was not, and has actually been
leaking all around it in many places. I assume was a fraction to small and
possibly heat over time shrunk/damaged it/magic to where it failed.

To be honest, i wish it had two oring grooves ...

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
Judge the right size oring before bolting together.

One for the whipple while it seemed right, was not, and has actually been
leaking all around it in many places. I assume was a fraction to small and
possibly heat over time shrunk/damaged it/magic to where it failed.

To be honest, i wish it had two oring grooves ...

I'm pretty much going off the machinist handbook for the o-ring groove dimensioning between the plates and exaggerating things a bit for the core itself since I don't care about sealing there so much as fitment. I'm also going for the nice viton oring even though i'm lookin at probably $100 in o-ring stock for that.

Are you saying they made the groove a little bit too deep and the oring isn't proud enough?

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
I'm pretty much going off the machinist handbook for the o-ring groove dimensioning between the plates and exaggerating things a bit for the core itself since I don't care about sealing there so much as fitment. I'm also going for the nice viton oring even though i'm lookin at probably $100 in o-ring stock for that.

Are you saying they made the groove a little bit too deep and the oring isn't proud enough?

It could be material that was used. To be honest, not sure what the
material is of the oring material that got used. Could be screen door rubber
ring for all I know...

When I looked at it... looked like it just got crushed under the clamping.

Possibly to thick vertical wise so when it clamped it pushed out and maybe then started to buckle a bit?

Wish I had taken more pics of it... but whatever it was, isn't working so will need to find something else that works.

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
Use anaerobic sealer

whats Aerobics gotta do with any of this? :rofl:

Aerobics-vksc.jpg

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
Anymore uodates?

My sense of urgency comes and goes with the winds.
The last piece of material I need for the assembly came today.

Here's what I got to...
The middle and now top plate is basically finished except for the o-ring grooves for the pipes that I need to do with a complete assembly all the way at the end
It's starting to look like something

radius tool I made from scratch to cut the pipe passages (all on a wire EDM machine)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info